Killer Cat got my chicks!

• 59 Replies

poultrygeist

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2008, 21:55 »
Maybe a big box then. Our cat would just go to sleep. She loves boxes.  :roll:

I think it may need something more than just the norm. If I remember right (I could be mixing up with another cat!) it had an accident and ended up slightly brain damaged. Arguably not its fault if it behaves badly but also not likely to respond to gentle shocks.

My own favourite is the water jet combined with loud noises and chasing. But Fifi has to decide which method would suit best.

Rob  8)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 23:29 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
John, i'm very sorry we offended you, but i don't think you realise we were only having a giggle, nobody has any intentions of painting cat's ( or weeing in peoples kitchens for that matter) it was just a bit of silliness and an  attempt to cheer up fifi, i think her neighbours were very unsympathetic (even if they can't control what their cat does) and we built on that fact, there, i've apologised, by the way, bought your book on e-bay, haven't read it yet but it looks good, the furthest i've got with my intended veggie patch is looking at the weeds growing, can't you write a book on how to grow vegetables without having to dig..................................

Sorry if I'm being sensitive - I just can't stand cruelty to any animal, even foxes and minks. I don't mind you weeing in nasty owners kitchen though!

Didn't know the book was on ebay - like a bad penny that thing :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

too many girls

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2008, 23:35 »
good job you didn't read my rant on what i was going to do to that fox that killed more than 30 of my ex barn hens in the space of 2 hours, in the middle of a sunny afternoon, cruelty? i was going to rip his head off,  still feel like that, if only i could catch the blasted thing..............

too many girls

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2008, 23:48 »
you've seen the website
now buy the book, I did,
vegetable growing month by month,
buy it now £5.99 pennine books. yipee, depends on which way you look at it........

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 00:07 »
good job you didn't read my rant on what i was going to do to that fox that killed more than 30 of my ex barn hens in the space of 2 hours, in the middle of a sunny afternoon, cruelty? i was going to rip his head off,  still feel like that, if only i could catch the blasted thing..............

Now that I can understand - but execution is different to torture.

I don't quite understand your second post though, what did you mean?

too many girls

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008, 01:18 »
you said e-bay was a bad penny, it depends on how you look at it, i probably wouldn't have bought the book if i hadn't seen it on e-bay.

Jellyhead

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2008, 07:45 »
John, Please dont apologise for being sensitive when it comes to cruelty to animals. It is the one thing that will be sure to get a reaction from me too, albeit over-sensitive sometimes. I have 11 cats now, ALL rescue, some come in the house and some dont. As you say, you cannot control where a cat goes when it is out. BUT, if someone complained to me about one of my cats, especially if it had been nasty to one of their animals I would at least show some compassion. I may also point out that I cant control where the cat goes but I would probably suggest that they do try to scare it off somehow and NOT cruelly, a water soaker will do the trick and will NOT harm the animal. As TMG said it was bit of a laugh with some seriousness thrown in. I would like to think that all my friends on this forum were animal lovers though.

:wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2008, 09:09 »
you said e-bay was a bad penny, it depends on how you look at it, i probably wouldn't have bought the book if i hadn't seen it on e-bay.

LOL - I meant the book!! :)

Jellyhead - if you're into cat rescue you've probably seen the the cruelty people are capable of with animals.  So please excuse my SOH failure. Normally I can take a joke.

milly8

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 10:43 »
i,m a cat,dog,guinea pig,hamster,chicken and fish owner.we do control our cats!!we keep them as house cats ,they are happy,safe and dont annoy anyone else let alone poo in their garden.we have very annoying cats that live close by and i think its a copout to say that we cant stop them from doing things!!
cats may be cats but we shouldnt have them if we cant be responsible for them ,otherwise they they are wild and shouldnt belong to anyone.its a copout to say that we cant be responsible for their actions,they belong to us therefore are our responsililbity.if my next door neighbours horrible cat touched one of my kids i would insist it was put to sleep or rehomed away from children just the same as if my dog hurt a child!!!!no different!!!
i,m going to sit back now and wait for you all to shout at me!!!!
MAD MOTHER WITH TOO MANY ANIMALS!!!!!!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 14:38 »
Hello, everyone

I'm back from a weekend away.  I had to send my chicks to a friend for the w/e so that she could keep the tlc up and my haven't they grown over the weekend.  Sweetpea is doing amazing so I think she's going to be ok - phew.

From reading these pages, I'm guessing I've now got to execute the cat?  :shock:  :shock:  :wink:  :wink:

I don't condone cruelty to animals either and Rob I've tried the supersoaker and noise thing to no avail.  I'm now looking at football sirens  :D  :D

Meanwhile here's my little survivior....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 15:08 »
Hi Fifitrix - that's good news indeed. Execute - I merely meant that I can understand someone killing a predator to protect their animals but not being cruel. Although I could understand how angry you would be because I would be too.

We have a problem with a bruiser cat who has moved in at the back, so I do understand your feelings. He's threatening our very elderly (16) and terminally ill cat. Luckily our new boy cat waddled over and threatened to sit on him.

poultrygeist

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 15:08 »
I knew it had been a long campaign.

Best of luck with anything you can find that works. It may be that it is just permanently brain damaged and can't be put off. There's only the physical barrier options left then.

Lovely piccy. Keep them as safe as you can.

Rob  :)

chookiepaula

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 16:20 »
As everyone has said cats are natural hunters and you will not be able to stop that instinct.

You could try a motion detector which emits a high pitch sound which cats dislike but we cannot hear it. My grandfather used it with good success!

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/rspb/R0123/76532
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

chookiepaula

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 16:24 »
forgot to mention... should this or any other attack occur your main line of action with the chicken is treatment for shock as I am sure you are fully aware. Keep them very warm in a box with dim lighting. Encouorage them to drink where possible.

The second problem is infection. Clean the wound with saline (1 pint of boiling water with 1 teaspoon of salt added then allowed to cool) bathe at least 2 times daily.

Hope this first aid advice is useful?!

Jellyhead

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2008, 17:13 »
Quote from: "milly8"
i,m a cat,dog,guinea pig,hamster,chicken and fish owner.we do control our cats!!we keep them as house cats ,they are happy,safe and dont annoy anyone else let alone poo in their garden.we have very annoying cats that live close by and i think its a copout to say that we cant stop them from doing things!!
cats may be cats but we shouldnt have them if we cant be responsible for them ,otherwise they they are wild and shouldnt belong to anyone.its a copout to say that we cant be responsible for their actions,they belong to us therefore are our responsililbity.if my next door neighbours horrible cat touched one of my kids i would insist it was put to sleep or rehomed away from children just the same as if my dog hurt a child!!!!no different!!!
i,m going to sit back now and wait for you all to shout at me!!!!

I'm not going to shout but just totally disagree on the copout theory. My cats go out AND I am a responsible owner, but I don't know where they have been all day :roll:

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Name that Killer!!!

Started by massa on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 10:28
by Ian Findlay
xx
Killer Cat

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 03:46
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 30 queries.