Killer Cat got my chicks!

• 59 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 18:09 »
You guys are all very funny.  It's made me laugh after a stressful day.

We're now hoping one of the chicks is a boy so that it can make our neighbour's life hell.  :D

As for the cat ....  Will look at pink paint, a siren and get the watershooter out again, not that we ever got to him quickly enough.  You've all made some good points.  I think we may try catching him and giving him a fright too.  Sorry for all you cat lovers, we have one of our own but this cat has to learn some how.

Here's our fighter, looking not so bad, you can't see just how bad the wing is as she's hiding it but I think she might be ok.  Phew.

Jellyhead

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 18:41 »
I would bathe it in warm water, clean it with antiseptic wash (savlon or something) and smother it in Tea Tree cream. It worked for me with little Gabrielle.......twice :shock:  :shock:
Oh, by the way peeps I thing Gabrielle is a cock :roll:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

too many girls

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 19:18 »
can we have a competition for naming fifi's chick?  the winner would get to er, name the chick...................

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 19:34 »
Really sorry to hear about your chicks, reminds me how lucky I am to have the worlds wimpiest cats - scared of day old ducklings. Think I would go the water. Have also heard of a product called something like roar. Its made of lion poo the idea being you use it to mark your territory and it scares the cat into thinking he's trespassing on a lions turf. Like the idea but no idea if it works.

Big hugs and sorry about your loss.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

too many girls

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 19:48 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Or start weeing in the cat owner's garden and kitchen.

She'll take some notice at least.  :)

Rob

my daughter pip just read this thread and thought you mean't fifi weeing in the neighbours kitchen, now there's a thought......................

Poolfield2

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 19:50 »
Sooooo sorry about your babies, I was going to suggest a cockrel or even a goose if you had space the only thing is your own cat may need therapy :wink:

poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 19:54 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Or start weeing in the cat owner's garden and kitchen.

She'll take some notice at least.  :)

Rob

my daughter pip just read this thread and thought you mean't fifi weeing in the neighbours kitchen, now there's a thought......................

I did !!  :D

Porffor

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 20:08 »
:lol: thats what i was thinking too!

fifi - salt water is a great healer.. and fingers x'd..

Jellyhead

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2008, 20:18 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
can we have a competition for naming fifi's chick?  the winner would get to er, name the chick...................

MARY :oops: ................... so I like Vodka :oops:  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

blossom1044

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2008, 20:23 »
bucket of water thrown at it will make the cat think twice about coming into your garden/house.
new to hens
Thanks
T

Cleo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 10:04 »
We had a problem with a cat coming in and terrorizing ours. Taking his food and his bed..
I made up the bailey's bed in the large cat carrier.
I keptt an eye out and when the mog had taken the bed locked him in it.
You should have heard the noise. Then I went to bed and left him overnight.

In the morning when I let him out...you have never seen a cat move so fast...and he hasn't ever returned to the garden !

Something similar might work for you

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 20:56 »
I'm really saddened to read some of the comments on here. Cat owners can not control their cat - best will in the world, they are not like dogs. If it was my cat, I would be very sorry and offer recompense but I couldn't promise to stop it. I mean could not - not 'would not'. Our cats know not to take food off the table - as long as we're watching. Out of sight, out of control.

It's sad when they do what their nature demands - hunt and kill - but that is what they are.

Water and noise will certainly put a cat off coming around but painting it is cruel. I mean legally cruel.

It's awful to lose a chick but to the cat they're prey. It saw some food and went for it. Now there are a lot of foxes around and domestic cats are amateurs in comparison. If the cat can possibly get something the fox certainly can.

Incidentally, most (like 99%) of domestic cats are scared stiff of full grown hens. Foxes aren't. Neither are dogs. Even sloppy rover has a wolf for a great grandparent and you need to keep that in mind.

So, let's please show compassion for the poor chick but without suggestions of engaging in illegal acts of cruelty and remember the cat owner loves her pet as much as the chicken owner. One wrong does not justify another.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

too many girls

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 21:12 »
John, i'm very sorry we offended you, but i don't think you realise we were only having a giggle, nobody has any intentions of painting cat's ( or weeing in peoples kitchens for that matter) it was just a bit of silliness and an  attempt to cheer up fifi, i think her neighbours were very unsympathetic (even if they can't control what their cat does) and we built on that fact, there, i've apologised, by the way, bought your book on e-bay, haven't read it yet but it looks good, the furthest i've got with my intended veggie patch is looking at the weeds growing, can't you write a book on how to grow vegetables without having to dig..................................

poultrygeist

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 21:36 »
I think the problem was the combination of an unsympathetic owner, as tmg says, and a cat that obviously has an attitude problem beyond just over-confidence !

I remember Fifitrix's original post on this cat and I would have made sure I gave it a real scare or two by now. I would NEVER condone hurting an animal but this one sounds like it is very much out of control and is not just killing Fifi's chickens but trying to take over her house.

It may well need to have a scare along the lines of the locked box. Won't hurt it but will make it realise there are greater powers at work !!

Rob  :)

Foxy

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 21:48 »
Dont think the locked box is good, a short sharp shock to deter the cat :lol:  
Wouldn't be too concerned if a neighbour shooed my cats out of their garden -water pistol etc, but locked in a box would be cruel.

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
Killer Cat

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 03:46
by naturesparadise
xx
red top fly killer

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 20:12
by Foxy

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 28 queries.