Hens Day Out?

• 7 Replies

compostqueen

Hens Day Out?
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:03 »
Thought I'd just run this idea past you to see whether you thinks it's a good idea or completely stupid

I was thinking of taking my Eglu and hens to our lotty open day so folks can see what the set up is like.  I know folks are interested in such things these days, plus we like to have new things to do and see on our open days so they don't get boring

Would this be ok or would it be too upsetting for my three birds. The trip by car takes about 3 minutes.  There is a lovely piece of lawn to site the Eglu and run on.  Good idea or potential for disaster?

Your opinions please  :D

poultrygeist

Hens Day Out?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:42 »
I would suggest a small picket fence round the whole setup to keep dogs and kids at bay.

And a sign saying 'Do Not Feed' ! (because they will), but otherwise can't see anything wrong.

Rob  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hens Day Out?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:53 »
Brilliant idea CQ.  

You've got poultry netting to make a small run area for them if you don't want them to stay in their eglu run for the day.  Don't forget some shade for them if the weather is hot !

Foxy

Hens Day Out?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:07 »
Lovely idea! You will get loads of interest, I wonder if Eglu would give you some leaflets to give away on the day? Or perhaps you could give out homemade fat sheets for everyone! Obviously including the best forum out there! :wink:
Agree with Rob(Rob falls of chair! :lol: ) think the hens will be fine as long as their is a little perimieter to keep the excitable dogs and children at bay! :lol:  :lol:

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Hens Day Out?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 13:22 »
we opened our garden recently and had all the chickens out in the garden. Everyone loved it - we had loads of questions from people intereseted in getting them and all the kids loved them.

We only had one guy turn up with a dog - it was well behaved but i did quickly shoo the chickens in just in case. I thought it was a bit odd for someone to take their dog round people's gardens (especially as the guy plonked himself in a chair on the patio and sat thee like he owned the place!)

It sounds like wonderful idea to me - especially if you can get leaflets from omlet about keeping chickens.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hens Day Out?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 13:26 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
I wonder if Eglu would give you some leaflets to give away on the day?

I'm sure Omlet would be very interested, try contacting:

barbara @ omlet .co.uk

compostqueen

Hens Day Out?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 14:12 »
oh, so not a barmy idea after all then  :D   I don't think folks bring dogs to our open day. I've never clocked any.

You're right AS! I'd not thought about the netting. Doh  :roll:  I have a giant golfing brolly in my lotty shed if sun shade is required

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hens Day Out?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 19:17 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"

You're right AS! I'd not thought about the netting. Doh  :roll:  I have a giant golfing brolly in my lotty shed if sun shade is required

You'll only need them if you are going to let the chooks out of the eglu run !

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 36 queries.