dalek and composter query?

• 18 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
dalek and composter query?
« on: February 19, 2012, 21:15 »
Went on the plot today.  I feel pretty deflated.  Our plot was in a right state when we took it on, however we managed to get rid of all the weeds and debris, and create 3 raised beds however we are unable to carry on with anymore beds as there was so much rotted wood that had been left by previous owners, and unfortunately its right in the middle of the plot and has been too heavy too move .  We have enough wood for two small bombfires, its a little unfair as none of it is ours, and unfortunately we have not had a dry day for the wood to burn, as the wood is continually damp.  So we kind of work round it doing other tidy up jobs like cleaning the greenhouse or tidying the shed.etc..  so felt frustrated today.

anyway about the dalek, there is one available on our plot, and would be much more convenient if we utilised this rather than building wooden palet composts.  I am just worried we may be wasting the space as it is going to take us ages to get any compost going.  The only place if we did build would be to go in the childrens play area at the bottom.  It sound lazy but I am just being realistic, I have a leaves net bag which I have been collecting so thats done separately.

At the home our main waste is veg peelings, and tea bags, and grass clippings over the summer.  I dont have a shredder for cardboard.

There is also horse manure available at the start of winter on site.

We do have some pallets but just not sure they are essential in our case, when we can still make compost using the dalek.

I think what I am trying to ask is will our veg peelings tea bags, leaf mulch, and grass clippings be okay along with manure applied separately.

I know it may sound rediculous to some, but its a whole new world to me!  I am all ears for your expertise.  For the next 2 or 3 years I will only be using 4 or 5 beds for vegetables, using crop rotation.  And at the moment I am going once a week, I work and have two small kids, so I want it to be fun and manageable too.  I know in summer I will go more often but I am not able to go daily like some lucky people can.

cheers everyone
Amanda

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: dalek and composter query?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 21:19 »
I managed to fill a dalek every year without any difficulties on a half plot, with compostables from home (don't forget to add things like shredded paper) and later in the season the debris from crops which have finished.  And I'm only one person.

I'd go easy on the grass clippings though - make sure you only add a little at a time and layer with drier stuff such as paper - or you'll get a green slimy mess because no air will be part of the decomposition.

Go for the dalek and don't make life harder for yourself than you need to by struggling to make wooden bins for the sake of it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 21:22 »
Daleks can make perfectly good compost Amanda.

I would recommend more than one though

This is so that as one is full, you can leave it sealed up until the compost is ready to use, then lift the whle bin up and off, so the compost is easy to shovel.

In the meanwhile, you can fill the second one.

Adding some manure will be helpful too, and will contribute to the balance. Shredded paper is also useful, as long as it not compacted but mixed in with green stuff like lawn mowings.

Just make sure the compost stays damp enough --- in very dry weather I usually pour the occasional can ful of water in.

I have three daleks and a cubic metre pallet bin: I never turn the compost (Yes, I know that I 'should' ) and anything not composted well enough just goes back into the base for the next mix.

Werks fer me  :D

Hope that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 21:24 »
yeh id agree with yorkie, but if your growing runner beans this year you could do a bean trench and add all the veg peelings, tea bags and cardboard, this will help hold water and feed the beans.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 21:25 »
Hi Amanda,

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to get to the plot as often as you would like and you shouldn't push yourself so that it becomes a chore to come down - it should be your little oasis of calm away from the noise of life :happy:

As for the dalek,  do you have enough space on one of the beds to put it directly there?  I have 2 daleks and I live on my own now so they definitely don't get as much in the way of veg peelings as they did when I lived with my family but mine still are OK.  I have both of mine sited on beds that once the peelings etc have decomposed I can spread the contents directly onto that bed, probably with some manure, and then I'll move the dalek onto the next bed in the rotation.

Would any of the other allotment holders take the rotten wood off your hands for their own bonfires? maybe if you ask around someone may want it for something which would save you having to set up a fire pit in your plot if you don't want to do that.

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 21:29 »
go for the darlek composters also ask your local council they should have a scheme that you could purchase them at discount costs.

we have two on the plot and fill with veg peelings, fruit cores, banana skins, paper,egg shells, cardboard, grass cuttings plus veg waste off the plot..

if it smells add more paper or cardboard..
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 21:44 »
You don't need a shredder for cardboard (or anything else) - just rip it up as best you can and chuck it in the dalek along with the rest of the stuff you collect. Keep it damp (not wet), mix occasionally and you will eventually have good compost. You don't have to create extra bins - anything which won't fit in the dalek can be chucked on a separate pile which will also rot down eventually.

If you can assemble the rotting wood into a pile so at least some of it is not lying on the damp earth you should be able to get it to burn eventually, although you will probably need to find some dry timber to help get it going.

Every new crop you manage to grow this year will be one more than last year, and once you get on top of the hard work you'll really start enjoying it rather than feeling stressed about it.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13 »
You don't need a shredder for cardboard (or anything else) - just rip it up as best you can and chuck it in the dalek along with the rest of the stuff you collect. Keep it damp (not wet), mix occasionally and you will eventually have good compost.

I know this is probably really obvious, but when I started composting I spent ages and a lot of energy ripping dry cardboard up...until someone pointed out that if you leave it in the rain it can be pulled apart easily.  :blush:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22 »
I've got a load of wet wood on my plot at the moment but I dragged it to the edges of the plot and will stand it up against the hedge as best as poss where it can dry.  You have to be realistic about what you can achieve and Rome wasn't built in a day  :)

I plot on my own and there are loads of jobs that get put off because it's just not humanly possible to do it all.  You learn to chill  :D

loobs61

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:28 »
I agree with all the comments , definatly go for two if you can, one brewing whilst you fill the second. I use all my household waste, as in peelings and veg , teabags, mind you with a hubby and two teenage sons its not hard  :D I bought mine off of our local council and got discount for buying 2 at once and they delivered. Look under their recycling section on the website, think thats where I found mine :)   

kegs

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:17 »
Here's the link for discounted daleks in case you need it.

http://www.greatermanchester.getcomposting.com/

savbo

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:39 »
just to support other comments - you WILL be able to fill a composter even if it doesn't feel like it now. Once the weeds get growing, even keeping the perennial weeds for the green bin, you will have a supply of soft annual weeds that will fill up the dalek quite quickly. If you get really stuck there are always family and friends kitchen waste, but I don't think it will come to that.

If your plot is a long thin one, put the composter somewhere near the middle so you won't be traipsing all the way down the plot with a bucket of weeds. It's only a temporary home until you get your composting right....then you'll want more space for it!

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 13:25 »
Thankyou everyone for your advice.  We have that much wood it is not possible to move it, it would take far too long and there is too much of it seriously!there is no wall or area it can go against, we just have to burn it weather permitting and get rid.  My plot is one long rectangle half plot.  You have all made me think and cleared my head about the composter.  I am sticking with a couple of daleks. sat on wire mesh which I previously read on here keeps the rats out.  Thankyou for the link too, really helpful.  The responses I have had made me feel so much better, and not as guilty as I know its standard practice to build a composter.  The only thing is we have 7 palets now or more! very good sturdy ones at that.  So Going to make some shelves in the greenhouse, a sandpit for the kids and some nice pots for my garden patio.  If we do find next year we would of been better building one or two then I can always get hold of pallets.  I love the idea SnooziSuzi said, that sounds like a great idea, and will suit me moving the dalek along.  You are all very clever!

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 20:35 »
Don't worry about big quantities of veggie waste no matter how many times you fill your dalek it won't stay full. Mine was overfull, lid balanced on top full, at least 6 times last year now it's barely half full awaiting emptying. One of the little known laws of physics is that despite appearances it's not possible to actually fill a dalek.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 20:55 »
Hi amanda all i use at the lottie are black plastic rubbish bins cut the bottom out turn them upside down and put the lid on they work fine i have 4 in use at the plot and they cost next to nothing to buy.

clip
Hot bin and Dalek composters

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2023, 00:41
by pepsi100
xx
Manure in a dalek

Started by Cake Lady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 20:14
by gavinjconway
xx
EMPTYING THE DALEK

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 22:08
by wighty
xx
Slugs in compost Dalek

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 09:07
by JayG

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 33 queries.