Chillies watering question

• 6 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Chillies watering question
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:49 »
Sorry for the boring question but I can't seem to get this right.

I have 3 potted up Trinidad Moruga Scorpion plants, sown last May, didn't flower, overwintered in the kitchen then potted up into 8" pots with a clay based soil mixed with lots of grit for drainage.

Since potting up they've gone mad, bushed out and have been covered in flowers since mid Jan.

The problem now is, either the whole flower stalks are dropping off, or the fruits aren't swelling therefore the white flower bits are staying on the plant. Other flower buds aren't opening. It looks pretty with all the flowers on them but the plant seems to be 'stuck' and each night a few more of the flower stems have fallen off.

I water sparingly every couple of days but last weekend gave them a drowning to make sure the soil was getting water at the bottom, but the behaviour is the same.

I'm worried I'm going to lose all the fruits so if anyone can tell me how best to water them or what I can do to get the plants going again, I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers

Lardman

Re: Chillies watering question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:07 »
There's a potential that the flowers aren't being pollinated but I suspect It's a bit cold and a bit dark for them to perform properly. I wouldn't be too concerned give it time, you're well up on the season at the moment when the day light hours start to get longer the plants will be much happier.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 08:16 »
Yep as Lardman says, it's too dark and cool for them yet and there wont be enough pollinators doing their stuff yet. As long as the foliage is healthy just leave them be until it heats up a bit.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 08:21 »
Thanks guys, very reassuring.

You mentioned they were ahead at the moment, does this mean if all the flowers failed there'd still be enough time for regrowth?

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 08:28 »
You mentioned they were ahead at the moment, does this mean if all the flowers failed there'd still be enough time for regrowth?

You'll get continual flowering whilst the conditions are right until the plant can support no more fruit.  Like everything it's reproduce or die  ;)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 09:23 »
One thing you can do to help fruit set a little later on in the year is to mist the flowers lightly, I've found it does help produce fruit more successfully.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 12:46 »
Chillies are daylight neutral so unlike other plants dont wait for lights levels to increase or decrease to start fruiting.
Many chillies will do this in the first stages of fruiting, the super hots tend to do it more than say cayennes.
Try pollinating them with a small paint brush gently poking or you can tap the flower gently.
I am sure in time you will get fruit.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
A question about chillies

Started by henny penny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 23:05
by compostqueen
xx
Question on starting chillies/peppers early?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 15:30
by Robster
xx
Another silly watering question.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 10:11
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Question about watering seeds

Started by AdsaM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 23:49
by RGManby

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.