Quinoa

• 2 Replies

Muls

• Experienced Member
Quinoa
« on: July 24, 2013, 08:51 »
Is anybody else growing this year please ? I have no idea what I am meant to be doing with it, I was given some seeds that are growing well but ....

BabbyAnn

Re: Quinoa
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:29 »
If it is for the seed (most likely) then just plant out (about a foot apart) and let them get on with it  ;)  You might want to stake the plants as the seed heads can get heavy.  Leave as long as possible for the seed to mature on the plant (watch the weather as you don't want it to turn wet when at the latter stage) - now and again, rub your fingers over some of the seed heads, and if the seed is readily loosened, harvest the heads.  Dry it out further by hanging up somewhere under cover before removing the seeds.  You'll need to wash the seeds to get the saponin out (this is the bitter tasting soapy coating that puts birds off eating the grain)  It takes several washes (I used a bucket and filled it with water, rinsed, drained out/used a sieve) and then spread out on trays to dry out thoroughly before storing.

Go online and the Real Seeds Catalogue have full instructions on how to harvest and clean up the seed if you need more information.

ghost61

Re: Quinoa
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 13:30 »
I have a few growing, but they are only 2ft tall and have been in the ground for months. Not expecting much from them, I have to say....

xx
quinoa

Started by greenun on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 12:52
by savbo
xx
Quinoa

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 20:25
by Madame Cholet
xx
Quinoa

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 23:13
by gobs
xx
quinoa

Started by TinaD on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 17:42
by Bobbeh

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 28 queries.