What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1950 on: August 19, 2012, 20:30 »
It was HOT and very sticky today, so, typically, I had to spend a bit of time in the GH as I noticed what I think is the first signs of blight on a Beefeater tomato plant.  I removed a pretty yucky tomato (complete with what looked like a leather jacket larvae attached to it  :ohmy:), took off the only two decent tomatoes on that plant and bagged up the rest, I then removed another plant that had fruited all its load and trimmed all leaves up to the second truss before giving the whole lot a good spray of Bordeaux Mix.

Hubby cut the grass and watered while I harvested courgettes, runner beans, tomatoes and herbs before clearing the mange tout plants out that had gone over (and collected up the seed for next year).  
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1951 on: August 19, 2012, 21:44 »
I had an early start on the plot this morning spending around three hours weeding
gave up when it got really hot about 11.30 very pleased with my efforts.
Retired but never short of a job.

davesellars

« Reply #1952 on: August 20, 2012, 12:56 »
Wasn't particularly impressed to find in the polytunnel that my entire crop of tomatoes (about 70 plants) all with blight...  Will be destroying the lot tonight  :-(   Not quite sure how to get rid of the plants though?  once cut, let them dry out in the polytunnel and then burn them?

On a plus note:  the cucumbers in the polytunnel had become monsters and many of them!  :-)    Finally, courgettes appear to be growing aswell... (about blooming time...)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1953 on: August 20, 2012, 16:02 »
A busy day then Sunshineband  ;) Good harvest too.

I nipped down mid afternoon for potatoes and beetroot as we'd run out. Came home with those as well as gladioli, runner & french beans.

Watered a lot, topped up the bath, cut the path edges then pedalled like mad to get back for the evening dinner shift.

Watered my greenhouses and beans at home.

Now waiting for my veg to cook so I can have dinner and nip across the road for bedtime....after that it's "relaxing time"

We also have  a bath installed on our plot Paul, and if wasn't for the water being a rather fetching shade of green, I could have happily podged my feet in their yesterday!

Cut out the blighted Black Sea Man tomato, sprayed all the rest and brought home 2.5 kg of green and greenish tomatoes, which are now in a range of places to ripen
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jmc1949

« Reply #1954 on: August 20, 2012, 17:33 »
Planted out some drawf kale on No.1 plot.  More strimming on plot 2. After yet more rain the site is very boggy so all I could do was mark out and spray glyphosate on 18x4ft area which will have the 2 blackcurrants, 2 redcurrants and a gooseberry bush. Once the perennial weeds have died I will start digging. I hope.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1955 on: August 20, 2012, 22:08 »
I cleared all the old broad beans and dug over that patch of ground.
Weeded the climbing beans (which aren't doing very well this year) and the Kale.
Looking forward to another nice day tomorrow to dig over where the onions were.
Going to over-winter some onions this year.

Have some lovely Italian lettuce growing and Punterella (a leafy chicory root) which should make some nice salads :)

Wellpotty1

« Reply #1956 on: August 21, 2012, 14:29 »
Yesterday, just popped in for 5 min to check on the courgettes & smile at everything growing so well, was really warm so didn't stay to weed.

Looking out the window now & its raining again, so unless it stops I shant be weeding again this afternoon. Loveing this summer -so varied  :D
Kiwifruit

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #1957 on: August 21, 2012, 16:22 »
been on holiday for a week  :D

went down to the allotment today weeds are knee high  :ohmy:
weeded a 8'x4' patch then forked over will do the some more tomorrow  ???

had a good look at the butter nut squash bind weed all over it so stared to weed it,  found a rugby ball size squash  :D  its desided to grow between the fence and next doors green house how im going to harvest it i don't no hope it don't break nexts doors greenhouse glass

picked lots of runner beans some are to big to eat so will leave them on the plant for next year seeds  :)

cant see my cabbages though all the weeds that a job for tomorrow  :wacko:

sweet corn are doing well will soon be able to pick them  :D

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #1958 on: August 21, 2012, 18:56 »
op's for got to put the pics on i took just before going on holiday 11 aug
it's a bit more weedy know  :wacko:

i got the plot on 6 dec 2011

there were weed knee high on the bit on the left i weeded and dug it over today  ::)
op's on the right hand side  ???
(63)18.7.12 (704 x 528) (352 x 264).jpg
(68)sweetcorn 18.7.12 (704 x 528) (352 x 264).jpg
(69)18.7.12 (704 x 528) (352 x 264).jpg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 18:59 by like diggingk »

mattwragg94

« Reply #1959 on: August 21, 2012, 19:51 »
I have just shelled th dried peas, and packed them away for later on (seed circle on another forum) and ive just set some 'hundreds and thousands' tom seeds to ferment.

jmc1949

« Reply #1960 on: August 21, 2012, 22:42 »
Continued working on plot 2 clearing, strimming. Got the pieces of the raised bed in position but just about to screw together and down came the rain. It was the third heavy shower in two and hours so gave up and went home. :(

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1961 on: August 21, 2012, 23:14 »
Just back after a weeks holiday so had a bit of hoeing to do pulled up some of the weeds big enough to handle .
Found that three of my collies had gone to seed  found caterpillars on my sprouts  will have to search for holes in the netting .
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Green Thumb

• Domestic energy comparison
« Reply #1962 on: August 23, 2012, 09:50 »
Weeded between the leeks, dug up the last two rows of potatoes after cutting the tops off a few weeks ago due to blight. Picked some beans and then started to cut back the hedge and brambles.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1963 on: August 23, 2012, 16:08 »
Spoke to a policeman for about an hour after finding the sheds had been broken it again. This time they tipped the contents of one of the sheds upside down, not sure what they were looking for, maybe a key to one of the other sheds. We thought they had taken the strummer but found it next door, it looks like they were disturbed as. They left all their tools they used to break in in their shed. So far all we can see that they took was petrol, they took the petrol out of the strummer, took a can or fuel and took the petrol out of next doors generator.
We have to go back later and repair the damage to the shed doors and locks  >:(
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

grendel

« Reply #1964 on: August 24, 2012, 11:21 »
took the rotovator down the plot and gave the ex potato beds a once over, then took a bash at the weeded over areas, had to stop every two rows to clear the weeds from the blades, but the plot is looking a fair bit better now.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post May 17, 2024, 14:01
by vikingraider
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 33 queries.