What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1980 on: August 29, 2012, 23:23 »
Today I walked towards the garden shed, turned and headed in again grabbing some of the not-yet-dry washing on the way just in time to close the conservatory door behind me as the big splosh-drops hammered onto the conservatory roof.

The hedge-trimmings can stay put to "dry-out a bit" for another day.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1981 on: August 30, 2012, 16:22 »
A bit of harvesting, but mainly maintenance as that can't be done in the rain we are due again tomorrow. Loads of fence painting and woodwork treatment, long overdue but at least its done now.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1982 on: August 30, 2012, 17:09 »
Back today to plant green and red curly kale and savoy cabbage out. They were big plants I had potted on waiting for space to clear.  You could almost hear them sigh with relief to get their roots into the soil  :lol:

They got a treatment of chicken manure pellets and slug pellets, then safely tucked up under net tunnels.

Did some more weeding - my plot is divided into two on the same site, so the smaller one (about 1/3) is now all tidy and re-planted for winter with only a couple of small spaces for some chard to overwinter and probably some overwintering onions and/or garlic.

Did a bit of harvesting and came home completely knackered again but happy.  Start the tidy up on the bigger part of the plot tomorrow  :D

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1983 on: August 30, 2012, 21:10 »
First time down to the plot for a week, thanks to the weather. Harvested the first of my sweetcorn and ate it for tea. Lovely! Also picked some turnip, cabbage, peas, courgettes and kale. Picked about 40 caterpillars off the remnants of my lettuce. Thank heavens everything else has netting on it.
The toms in the polytunnel are looking sickly now with a lot of yellow leaves with black spots all over. I think I'll remove them all tomorrow, because they've tasted very watery so far. Quite a disappointment really.

When I opened the shed door I found a cat living inside. It can get in through a small gap by the floor and has apparantly been seen going in and out of there all week. If it keeps the rats away I'm happy for it to stay.

Came home and grated ten large courgettes, ready for freezing. Am sick of the sight of them.

grendel

« Reply #1984 on: August 31, 2012, 12:32 »
up the plot and did some rotovating, planted some spring cabbage and white onion seed to over winter. then started rotovating the weed areas, I let the blades build up a bed of weeds then they just pull other weeds out by the root, takes a lot of clearing of blades and the gearhead siezed just as I was finishing, so I have to clear that and free it up now.
though its probably just weeds caught between the drive lugs and the shaft housing.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1985 on: August 31, 2012, 13:52 »
No damage to report from overnight cold, unless that's why the runners have no more flowers on  :(

Started pulling up the sweetcorn so the squash could have the bed to themselves, got 10 more half cobs. So roughly 1 and a half cobs per plant, not nearly as bad as I was expecting.  :)
I was given a yellow courgette that is marrow sized (to make into chutney :D ) and picked another punnet of raspberries.

Did a bit of hoeing and came home for lunch.

jim1972

« Reply #1986 on: August 31, 2012, 14:13 »
Picked some beans and corgettes. then cleaned up the broken glass where someone had ripped up plot 38's number sign and smashed 3 windows in the greenhouse  >:(

grendel

« Reply #1987 on: August 31, 2012, 16:37 »
this afternoon I stripped the rotorvator gearbox removed the bit from a broken thrust bearing from the main gears tooth, then reassembled without the thrust washer - works fine again.
Grendel

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1988 on: August 31, 2012, 16:51 »
Weeded a section of the larger part of my plot and collected lots of calendula seeds for next year.

Got chatting to a plot neighbour and we are going to have a seed swap later in the year as we are both growing crops that we save seed from year on year.

A couple of council guys turned up to strim the edges of the main paths and ended up doing all the paths round the plots.  My battery strimmer has been struggling against the thick lush grass this years rain has been growing so bonus for me  :D

Lovely relaxed morning and been happily sorting seeds out this afternoon, picking the calendula seeds over and putting all my home saved seeds so far in envelopes - some for me and some for swaps  :)

jmc1949

« Reply #1989 on: August 31, 2012, 18:18 »
OH and myself put together an 8x4ft raised bed. Then put it in place and part filled it. Will finish it tomorrow. Then strimmed the paths and weeded a couple of beds and picked a bunch of sweet peas. Then the rain came down. Again.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1990 on: September 01, 2012, 14:28 »
Picked what peas I had left  took some more runner beans turnips and beetroot.
Planted some bulbs for the spring , cut back the strawberry bed and had a general tidy up.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1991 on: September 01, 2012, 15:08 »
With the help of OH have put in a new post and wire frame for the tayberry - the previous one collapsed  ::)  Used 3 posts this time and put an extra post into the loganberry frame, so 3 in that now as well.

Took both plants off their old wires and then tied in the new canes and pruned off the old and excess stuff.

After a grey start, it has gone very warm here, so went and looked at the next section that needed weeding and decided tomorrow morning would be a better time to tackle it.  Gave the weeds a hard stare and promised 'I'll be back!'  :lol:

plum crumble

« Reply #1992 on: September 01, 2012, 17:33 »
had a lovely day clearing the old onion and spud beds of weeds and planting the last of the green manure - chosen red clover this time. The plot looks very tidy, if I says so meself! Picked loads of blackberries, another punnet of raspberries, the 3 remaining apples from the tree (terrible this year). My caulies (variety Cheesy) are looking splendid under the debris netting. Must give them some more grub!.

Then sat and had a cuppa, in the gentle Sept sun, and surveyed my work. Lovely day.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1993 on: September 01, 2012, 19:17 »
Finally a productive day!
We have deceided to give lasagna beds a try so cleared 3 beds and covered them in layers of paper/card and grass cuttings.

Dug up masses of potatoes
picked french and runner beans
picked strawberries
mowed the lawn (which took 2 hours!!)
picked some beetroot

back tomorrow to do some more!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

suziequeue

« Reply #1994 on: September 01, 2012, 21:26 »
Tried out a new system of fixing enviromesh over the hoops on my winter brassica rows. The new system was no better than the old system so I'm not going to waste time pursuing that.

Gave the tomatoes another prune.

Washed a whole load of pots in preparation for next year.

Um that's about it!! More pot washing tomorrow and experimenting with new chicken wire panels.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 38 queries.