What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

dmg

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1920 on: August 09, 2012, 00:04 »
potted up 30 strawberry runners fom 6 plants - 18 more plants still to do.
lifted some 1st earlies, pentland jave and red duke of york. got about 5lbs between 8 plants :(

dmg

martingibson

« Reply #1921 on: August 09, 2012, 12:06 »
Been away for a few days (to watch Olympics) so have quite a bit to do ..... however neglected all work and collected a large bag of runners and french beans, 5 courgettes and headed home.
Must return to do some weeding some time

jmc1949

« Reply #1922 on: August 09, 2012, 14:00 »
Put in an 8x4ft raised bed at the back of plot 1, dug it over and manured it. Hard work in this heat. I'm not used to digging in sunny weather.  Also strimmed the paths.

Yana

« Reply #1923 on: August 09, 2012, 20:18 »
Best laid plans went out of the window as I got distracted making marrow jam and chutney. Never mind..... Got 8 jars of jam and 9 jars of chutney so not a bad day after all.
Tomorrow blitzing parsnips, French beans and kale as there is weeding to be done and crops to be harvested.  :D  ::)
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1924 on: August 11, 2012, 13:11 »
Managed to get to the plot for a couple of hours yesterday.  Lots of harvesting and watering plus a bit of a chat with a couple of plotholders and swapping of produce.  Beautiful early evening, the mist had descended over the sea and the sun was lighting it up as a contrast to the dark blue of Beachy Head - really lovely.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

djbnat

« Reply #1925 on: August 11, 2012, 16:07 »
Lots of watering and some gentle hoeing.  Lifted first carrots of the season and pleased to see they were "carrot shaped"  :) No forking of roots or evidence of carrot fly - taste time, tomorrow lunch I think.
Regards
DJB

jmc1949

« Reply #1926 on: August 11, 2012, 18:09 »
Just weeded the raised beds again. Amazing how the weeds appear almost overnight.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1927 on: August 11, 2012, 18:32 »
Brassica seedling sort out at home - potted on plants which are waiting for summer crops to clear.

Got green curly kale, red curly kale, savoy cabbage and mustard greens all in a net topped coldframe now  :)

grendel

« Reply #1928 on: August 11, 2012, 19:06 »
the other day I bought 2 6m drip water hoses from the pound shop, this evening I set them up round the plants in the garden I wanted to water, got soaked when I plugged it in as I was in the centre of 6m of sprays, on the upside it did work very well, and everything was well watered. on the bright side the first tomato is nearly ready.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

LilacSandy

« Reply #1929 on: August 11, 2012, 22:11 »
Sometimes being on the plot is never boring but can be routine so I wish I had seen you Grendel as the flower in the center of the water display.

Today I weeded the leeks and found that they were a lot larger than I thought.  Harvested some lovely carrots and beans for the stir fry.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1930 on: August 12, 2012, 19:11 »
Crawled into the PSB, swede and kale cage and weeded, did lots of harvesting, then came home and did a lot of crop processing. Garlic and potato onions that were drying off in the greenhouse, cleaned up and stashed in the shed.  Seed grown onions replaced them in the greenhouse.  Bijou mangetout pea seed crop harvested and brown haums ripped out so the raised beds look a bit more tidy now.

Also set up pots around the strawberries and guided runners in them as I don't think it is possible to have too many strawberries  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1931 on: August 12, 2012, 20:06 »
Watered the tomatoes that are in the minitunnel and giant cloche. Some of the larger varieties are now beginning to ripen.

Spent an hour cutting out the fruited growth from one loganberry (thorny  >:( ) and the tay berry (non-thorny  :D :D :D ) and tying in the massive new growth for these two plants. That leaves on more loganberry, the oregon thornless massive blackberry, and two other thornless blackberries to deal with, but the last three of course are still fruiting.

Picked the last of the tayberries - about half a pound. It has been an excellent investment  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1932 on: August 12, 2012, 20:16 »
Lots of watering, plus a bit of weeding on the salad onion and beetroot beds.  Removed the dwarf french beans under the Munty frame which had stopped producing and planted a few rainbow chard that another plotholder had given me that will take over when the beans have finished. 

I had spotted some leek plants hadn't taken in the bed so grabbed a tray from the GC and used these to fill the gaps.

I tidied up the cut flower border as the daisies had started going over.

Harvested and then home.

snowdrops

« Reply #1933 on: August 12, 2012, 20:16 »
Went to the plot around 10.30 to start cutting the potato haulms down & the weeds. :( Noticed on friday the blight has turned up. Had to call for reinforcements in the form of Mr S & the strimmer as it got very hot today & I was defeated by the weeds. he turned up & strimmed the next bed down & I raked it all on to a new heap that ended up raised on 2 pallets side by side & at least 4 ft high. Hope it stays dry so I can burn it all on thurs. Watered the leeks & squash beds gave a lovely cabbage away. Picked my 1st courgettes, about 7 very small ones but thought I would get them before something else did. Had a few chats with various plotters. Feel a bit better about it now.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 21:05 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

allotmentann

« Reply #1934 on: August 13, 2012, 20:17 »
Earthed up my late planted (experimental) potatoes, not holding out much hope as the site is riddled with blight and lots of people just leaving their spuds rotting away >:(. Planted out two seed grown rhubarb plants, two late courgette plants and thirty saffron crocus bulbs. Did a lot of weeding (mainly from the edges of my plot where the neighbours weeds invade). Harvested runner beans, french beans and borlotti beans, thirteen huge courgettes (Clarion, yellow globe, Jemma and long green) and a large patty pan squash. Struggled to carry them all to the car and may finally have to concede defeat having eaten two types of courgette cake, two types of courgette soup, courgette pie,courgette lasagne, courgette chutney and courgette fritatta :ohmy:. I love courgettes, just wish that I could preserve them! :(

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 1.027 seconds with 37 queries.