What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

AnneB

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1905 on: August 05, 2012, 07:10 »
Picked some more Champion of England peas.  These have been great this year. Also a few broad beans, the first Tuscan kale pickings and a few strawberries.   Planted out Brussels sprouts , savoy cabbage and a few turnips and a last go at outdoor cucumber, the last lot having succumbed to slugs.

Weeded a bit.

OH made good progress on next raised bed.

Chatted to neighbour who had his shed cleaned out by thieves on Tuesday night.  They also cut off all the taps on the site and even had the nerve to strip them down using his tools. 

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1906 on: August 05, 2012, 18:06 »
Had a quick look around my sodden plot 1.25" of rain in last 18 hours which was suficient to wash away soil and expose potatoes on many plots including mine, massive pudles on plots, my leeks are in about an inch of standing water I poked around with a fork in an attempt to drain unfortunately this had no effect.
Had a chat with a fellow plot holder we looked at our plots laughed ( what else could we do )  and went home as the rain started again.
Retired but never short of a job.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1907 on: August 05, 2012, 19:22 »
In between rainshowers this morning, we dug up all our second early spuds, weeded the summer cabbage bed and tied up some of the oca foliage as it was leaning on the red cabbages.

Was worried a small bird had got trapped inside the netting over the early blackberries, and then saw it squeeze itself through the wiremesh of the fence  :ohmy: which makes one side of the cage.

It might have been a warbler
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jmc1949

« Reply #1908 on: August 05, 2012, 19:56 »
Between showers worked in the garden. Trimmed the grapevine (grown for the birds to eat), it was taking off into next doors garden. Trimmed pyracantha and cotoneaster too. Weeded some of the borders, and have just finished potting on drawf kale and pixie cabbage. Now going to a cup of tea and watch Olympics.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1909 on: August 05, 2012, 20:02 »
Tied the squash up it's wigwam made the other squashes go in the direction I wanted them to  :nowink:

Picked the peas that were saved for seed as the pods had started to open and feed the birds  ::)

Noticed that out of 16 dwarf beans sown a couple of weeks ago only 4 have germinated, likewise out of 10 on the tripod there are only 2 :( Either the weather wasn't to their liking or the birds got to them before they grew!)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1910 on: August 05, 2012, 20:55 »
Didn't get up to the plot today but spent yesterday afternoon on the plot. 

I had a good clearout of the psb which is still barely producing - despite being five foot high and now being almost 10 months since planting! 

I cleared the yellowed leaves, removed the couple of plants that had gone straight to seed, removed the brassica cage and sprayed the clouds of whitefly with washing up liquid and a nettle/comfrey tea feed before covering the bed up again.  I will give it another month, then if it still isn't producing, I will take it out as my space is precious!

Hubby planted some cauliflower under a cloche and trimmed the grass.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Paul Plots

« Reply #1911 on: August 05, 2012, 21:11 »
A quick nip to the plot netted:
  • a carrier-bag full of runner beans
  • another of french beans (cobra)
  • half a bagful of peas

And home in time to prepare and cook some of them with my parents Sunday pork roast.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yana

« Reply #1912 on: August 05, 2012, 23:44 »
Weeded the courgettes and picked loads of patty pan, yellow courgettes and round green ones. Also the first of the yellow striped ones. The collapsible crate I collected them in looked really colourful  :D
Picked peas, sugar snap peas, spinach and swisschard.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

grendel

« Reply #1913 on: August 06, 2012, 09:51 »
popped to both plots this morning and strimmed paths and weeds until the strimmer stopped with just an 18" square spot still to be done, now to get digging to get the roots out.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Goosegirl

« Reply #1914 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08 »
Dug up and potted begonias that have survived over-winter (one for two winters  :)) and some Agapanthus in preparation for saving them over winter and planting again next year. Cleared lots of nettles hiding around shrubs and hedges, weeded the veg beds, watered dwarf French beans and sweet corn in the greenhouse, mulched some areas with spent compost and decided to leave my onions a bit longer as they still have green leaves even though they have flopped.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

« Reply #1915 on: August 06, 2012, 16:12 »
strimmer head stripped down, in just a few uses the brass bearings are wearing away far too fast, measurements taken and new steel bearings ordered.
just got to remove part of an old bearing from inside now.
Grendel

Springlands

« Reply #1916 on: August 06, 2012, 16:14 »
Weeded and watered some of the veggie patches (was surprised that they were quite dry considering all the rain we have had recently. Planted some more leeks - slightly late but I had to make room for them.

Kim50

« Reply #1917 on: August 06, 2012, 16:43 »
Not a happy bunny.  What I suspected on Saturday, was full blown blight today, so spent a miserable hour bagging up 5 black bags for the tip.  32 plants  :( :(

Pots look ok for the moment, though in beds next to each other.  Will rethink this strategy next year.  I do have a couple of bush toms in another part of the lottie, so fingers crossed for them

On a more positive note.  One of my neighbours gave me some of his greenhouse toms.  Interesting, he got blight last year and I didn't.  The runners that survived the slug onslaught, are fruiting nicely as are the french, though nothing like last year.  Wont be freezing bags and bags of them, though I do prefer my veg fresh

Winter squash are starting to fruit and there will 4 or 5 yellow courgettes to pick in the next couple of days

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1918 on: August 06, 2012, 21:40 »
Cut off all the manicrop potato haulms, as so many leaves now had blight, and I cannot go back until Friday - not risking it this year, after losing our whoel crop last year. 

Picked another bag of runner beans,a courgette and some tomatoes: sungold and moneymakers, plus one ferline

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
« Reply #1919 on: August 06, 2012, 23:41 »
hi ya  :) i dug up some rocket spuds still left in the ground, picked some runner beans pulled up a row of onions and some raddishes then got soaked lack of a shed at mo to shelter in, guess whats next on the todo list............pete
if at first you don't suckseed try again

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 30 queries.