What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1935 on: August 13, 2012, 20:23 »
Now that I am in relative good health again and back at work, I actually spent some working time at the plot weeding and trimming the paths. It felt good!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

jmc1949

« Reply #1936 on: August 13, 2012, 20:42 »
Continued clearing my additional plot of overgrown weeds, trimmed bits of the hawthorn hedge to tidy it up. Then moved the compost bin from my first plot to the new plot. Marked out two 4x7ft beds at the back of the plot which will have strawberries and rhubarb in. Will start digging them tomorrow. 4 hours work and don't seem to have made much impression on the overgrown plot.

snowdrops

« Reply #1937 on: August 13, 2012, 21:09 »
managed to get there this afternoon when the forecast rain didn't turn up. Pulled the weeds up in the parsnip bed & a few others round & about for good measure & added to yesterday's weed pile.Then transferred other pile of weeds on top so I could cover the lot with the tarpaulin to protect against the rains that are due on Wednesday. came home at 4pm when it started to rain.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yana

« Reply #1938 on: August 13, 2012, 22:31 »
Weeded leeks and Beetroot. Tried to repair fox damage to sweetcorn and work out why some of the Swiss Chard had been uprooted. Foxes?
Spent a lot of time harvesting beans (runner and French).
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1939 on: August 14, 2012, 00:50 »
Squelched around in wellies, waterproof leggings and coat to weed the strawberries and tidy up the bed. Hoed the leeks and the wallflowers, picked runner beans and french beans.

I seem to have been the only person on our allotment site all afternoon. Peaceful although damp.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jmc1949

« Reply #1940 on: August 14, 2012, 18:02 »
Dug the ground where a 4x7ft bed is going on the new plot.  Put the bed in and filled it. Strimmed more of the plot. It was too hot to do anything else.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1941 on: August 14, 2012, 19:40 »
Dashed down early to avoid the rain forecast for later in the day (which didn't arrive)

Picked a massive carrier bag of runner beans, some black berries and the first of the autumn raspberries, plus two courgettes

Collected the pods I had left of carouby de moussane peas, as next year's seed - mice (or those dreaded voles) had eaten loads of them within reach of the ground, so only have 12 pods now  :mad: My own fault I know, but still annoying.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1942 on: August 14, 2012, 20:09 »
Did some module planting today:

-Penstemons
-Wallflower
-Delphiniums
-Aquilegias
-Scarlet Flax
-Papaver Bracteatum
-Nigella
-Veronica

plus

-Winter salad mix
-Cabbage April (to overwinter)
-Cauliflower Snowball A (to overwinter)
-Asparagus Connovers Colossal
-Land Cress
-Onion Texas Early Grano
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yana

« Reply #1943 on: August 15, 2012, 07:40 »
Cleared and  rejuvenated / revitalised a bed for planting out a load of green and purple broccoli and pak choi.
Removed yellowing leaves from kale and cabbages, weeded recently sown turnip / swede seedlings and will need to thin these in the next few days.
Cleared more fox poop ....... Now rating amongst the worst job to do everyday (  this was collecting and disposing  of snails and slugs ).  :(

jmc1949

« Reply #1944 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22 »
Planted on wallflowers and spinach. More strimming on new plot, at least the weeds and grass are down to a few inches high now. It was four foot high last week. Under the weeds on paths found cushionfloor/lino/carpet that previous tenant had used, piled them up ready to go to the tip.

aligemini

« Reply #1945 on: August 15, 2012, 23:41 »
Evening all  :)

I was busy getting ready for our holiday on Sunday, but Hubby went down to water the G/H (Toms Cuc's,Peppers and Chillies)  :)

Like most of you, been a mixed year and hard work with this weather  :( so haven't Harvested or planted as much as I would like. :(  - Had a good garlic and Shallot crop though, which is drying in the G/H at home. :) Also a good weed crop for compost :unsure:

Tonight Hubby brought home Runner and French Beans enough for tea - Bangers,onions,beans and mash. Sadly had to buy the spuds. :(
Also brought home 5 oversized Courgettes ::) - leave um a day and they grow to woppers :ohmy: a cuc and 2 small peppers. Considering the weather I'm pretty pleased.

OH !!! almost forgot, our very first ripe toms of the year - Orange Berry -Delicious  8)

Here's hoping for an Indian Summer for all of us. ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1946 on: August 16, 2012, 20:40 »
Cleared blighted toms from #37 ,weeded bed then planted some celery in its place.  Barrowed some grass cuttings onto #37 and topped up a new lasagne bed.

Comfrey/nettle tea'd #37 then did same later with #39.

Added taller cloche over sprout plants on #39 and used original covering on celery as spotted a pigeon taking an interest.

Harvesting and watering session all round then home!

snowdrops

« Reply #1947 on: August 16, 2012, 21:03 »
Dug up 6lb of spuds & probably double that of weeds. Then I hacked off weeds on the brassica bed,put down some newspaper sheets,watered them to stop them blowing away before putting some home made compost on top & then planted curly kale,more cauliflowers,autumn sprouting broccoli, purple sprouting broccoli & red cabbage,just a few of each. Had a few chats & sheltered in the shed from the showers a few times. Then home for a well earned bath.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1948 on: August 18, 2012, 18:29 »
Set out early to avoid the worst of the heat but stayed for four hours.

Harvested more blackberries and some of the autumn raspberries, a cucumber, lots of tomatoes incuding one that weighed in at just over a pound (485g) - Black Sea Man - a few pounds of runner beans, two courgettes, two lush looking solid hearted pak choi, all the main crop onions, which have survived their leaf diseases to make a decent size, and masses of flowers:gladioli, sweepeas and dahlias

Mr Sunny dug up the maincrop potatoes. Ambos were massive despite being dug early, and all the other gave good crops too.

At home then picked more toms from the greenhouse - mainly Yellow Sunrise

Paul Plots

« Reply #1949 on: August 18, 2012, 20:34 »
A busy day then Sunshineband  ;) Good harvest too.

I nipped down mid afternoon for potatoes and beetroot as we'd run out. Came home with those as well as gladioli, runner & french beans.

Watered a lot, topped up the bath, cut the path edges then pedalled like mad to get back for the evening dinner shift.

Watered my greenhouses and beans at home.

Now waiting for my veg to cook so I can have dinner and nip across the road for bedtime....after that it's "relaxing time"

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 32 queries.