What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Azazello

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1110 on: May 03, 2012, 20:24 »
surveyed the floods and picked some rhubarb, which is mostly thriving.

This year's looking like a write-off (apart from the rhubarb). Nature can be a harsh mistress.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 20:45 by Azazello »

mattwragg94

« Reply #1111 on: May 03, 2012, 20:47 »
Put a row of beetroot in the root bed (started them off in paper pots in the greenhouse) - also check on the other root that i sowed in there, some of the beetroots are through - but no sign of the carrots or parsnips -

On a brighter note i noticed that my sungold toms, hundredweight pumpkins, king tut and crown peas are through. :D

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #1112 on: May 03, 2012, 22:41 »
Snuck out for a few hours from work (working from home is great)... Now officially finished the main digging.. Just gotta dig between all the spuds and earth them up.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1113 on: May 04, 2012, 11:34 »
Put a row of beetroot in the root bed (started them off in paper pots in the greenhouse) - also check on the other root that i sowed in there, some of the beetroots are through - but no sign of the carrots or parsnips -

On a brighter note i noticed that my sungold toms, hundredweight pumpkins, king tut and crown peas are through. :D

is it not to cold for beetroot? Was going to plant mine out this weekend but it is going to get very cold
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

mattwragg94

« Reply #1114 on: May 04, 2012, 12:01 »

is it not to cold for beetroot? Was going to plant mine out this weekend but it is going to get very cold

they should be fine - they are quite hardy - you only have to worry about the frost when they are little - which mine are  - so i may throw some fleece over the top. ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 18:00 by mattwragg94 »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #1115 on: May 04, 2012, 12:42 »
How big are your beets Matt? Have mine in modules but not sure how big they need to be for planting...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1116 on: May 04, 2012, 13:30 »
Earthed up my 1st early spuds as temperature is even meant to be dropping to 4c tomorrow night down here in the sunny south :ohmy:
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1117 on: May 04, 2012, 13:40 »
Earthed up my 1st early spuds as temperature is even meant to be dropping to 4c tomorrow night down here in the sunny south :ohmy:

That's what I thought = 4oC tonight so I might nip down and see if any of mine have been daft enough to stick their tender bits up above soil level. They were told not to!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

wneva

« Reply #1118 on: May 04, 2012, 14:21 »
Planted out some little parsnips I bought earlier in the week.  I'm now wondering if this was wise, in view of the cold nights coming.  I've also got some little Tom Thumb lettuces, planted mid April and some young broad beans.  Should I be protecting this lot with that fleece stuff I see others using?

No sign of my potatoes showing yet, planted 15 April, but faint signs of the beetroot, radish and spinach sown at the same time.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1119 on: May 04, 2012, 18:17 »
Planted out some little parsnips I bought earlier in the week.  I'm now wondering if this was wise, in view of the cold nights coming.  I've also got some little Tom Thumb lettuces, planted mid April and some young broad beans.  Should I be protecting this lot with that fleece stuff I see others using?

No sign of my potatoes showing yet, planted 15 April, but faint signs of the beetroot, radish and spinach sown at the same time.

Parsnips and broad beans will be fine and I think Tom Thumb lettuce will stand it too but you may need to ask else where on that one.  ;)

mattwragg94

« Reply #1120 on: May 04, 2012, 18:36 »
iv just fleeced my little beetroot seedlings, strawbs and broad beans - im not taking any chances ;)

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1121 on: May 04, 2012, 19:22 »
Planted out about 15 calbrese, 15 caulis, 5 cabbages (yes 5 is pittifull isnt it - lost a load in the winds!  >:()

Planted about 20 salad plants

Earthed up 4 rows of spuds

Came home and grabbed a beer!  :tongue2:

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1122 on: May 04, 2012, 21:08 »
chopped up some more turf with my lovely new mattock and started to create a bed to put my peas in, as they're currently taking over my house. Soil is still a bit sticky though.
Watched my shed being put up. We have a landscape gardener on our plot who can get hold of lots of useful stuff from the gardens he works on, so our nice big shed only cost us £20 including assembly. Just needs the felt putting on the roof tomorrow and a bolt on the door and it's ready to use. Can't wait to transfer everything over from our old flooded plot, especially the stove and the deckchairs.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1123 on: May 04, 2012, 23:47 »
Earthed up the potatoes yet again . They must be the only thing that's growing they love the moist soil.
weeded between rows of peas covered up seedlings of lettuce sown last week.
Found a patch of ground that was water logged funny realy because it is in the middle of an area previously dug wich is just moist and took well to digging and broke up nicely.
So I am thinking of planting my beans in this wet are when it dries up some more as it appears th hold moisture better.
Still got problems with germinating  seed due to the lower temperature through the night
Day time struggles to get into double figures at the moment.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1124 on: May 05, 2012, 12:59 »
Housework :tongue2:  :tongue2: and cooking today as I've got a friend coming round for a meal and sleepover, but yesterday I earthed up the Lady Christl spuds which are just starting to break through the surface, then mowed the lawn in a new personal best time (it was threatening to drizzle!) and scattered the clippings on top of the spuds for good measure.

Put fleece over the strawbs because they're flowering, although can't see this flush of berries being up to much if the weather carries on in its current vein.

Sowed half my sweetcorn seeds in paper pots (pre-chitted after having a duff packet last year - this time needless to say 20 out of 21 germinated!)  ::)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 13:00 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post May 17, 2024, 14:01
by vikingraider
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 32 queries.