What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

AnneB

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1080 on: April 30, 2012, 19:13 »
Didn't venture to the plot yesterday as the weather was so bad.  Drove past it this pm on way home from work, having collected daughter's washing (her machine is not working) and the new giant tall pea supports were still standing, which is a surprise given the high winds yesterday.   

Did some potting on when I got home - potted up some tomatoes given to me, that are further on than mine.  Potted on some lettuce (Stoke and Grandpa Admire's).  Re-sowed some Bronze Arrowhead lettuce and my brussels sprouts as these were no shows.   I put the sweetcorn into chit this morning before I went to work, and some of them are showing already this evening.  I will transfer to paper pots tomorrow night.

Checked on the cauliflowers in the cold frame and they are fine.  Gave some cabbage, pak choi and turnip seedlings a first airing outside.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1081 on: April 30, 2012, 19:34 »
Between sinking another 12 paving slabs into the lawn & clearing the guttering on my parents new place I......

• pricked out 160 ageratum (better late than never)
  • watered everything in the greenhouse that felt light
  • piled soil and chunks cut from the lawn onto an old compost heap - ready for a few courgettes

The rest of the day spent in and out of my parents place doing the usual household chores.

Now home for a 90 minute break and something to eat before the bed-time shift.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1082 on: April 30, 2012, 19:38 »
Beautiful sunny day here today. Strimmed the entire new plot. Erected the polytunnel which is about as strong as a flippin wendy house. Several of the brackets snapped off and had to be taped on. Tied it down with some ropes and put rocks and bags of gravel on the ends of the cover to hopefully keep it down.

A fellow plot holder has offered us a shed for £20. Just needs some felt on the roof. Bargain!

Back there tomorrow to dig up the perennial weeds before we rotovate later in the week.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1083 on: April 30, 2012, 19:46 »
Finished the clearance digging - Hussar!!  :D Soil wasn't even sticking to my boots. Amazing!
Pea and Brassica cage stood up to the weekend's weather (apart from a general E to W lean)
Put the toms and crystal lemon plants out the back to start hardening them off; all had an attack of the vapours and keeled over. Better get used to it ladies!  :tongue2:

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1084 on: April 30, 2012, 21:09 »
Amazing contrast from weekend, planted out broad beans from pots and lettuce plants, did lots of weeding,could not earth up potatoes as soil was waterlogged  half a spit down.
Cut grass and generally tidied up as weather forecast is not good for rest of week.
Retired but never short of a job.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1085 on: April 30, 2012, 21:21 »
Managed to get to the plot after work - first time i think this year!!

Raked over half the plot and a bit of tidying. Met my new plot neighbours - seem really nice, their first time with an allotment so i shared my wealth of knowledge!!  ;)

Totty

« Reply #1086 on: April 30, 2012, 21:28 »
Took advantage of a rare dry day during this drought, and replaced a brussells plant which had been slugged, Put up my pea sticks for my third and final row of peas, planted out 10 crimson flowered broad beans, connected a third water butt to the greenhouse, potted some crown prince plants up.
Totty

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1087 on: April 30, 2012, 21:53 »
I'm a bit late posting as this is Sunday's post so please forgive.... 

We popped up for a quick watering session in the greenhouse but was greeted by sun so spent a lot longer than originally planned.  Got the Munty frame up and planted sweet peas either end on pea netting.  I plan to underplant with dwarf french beans. 

I relocated tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, squashes to greenhouse from conservatory to make room for more sowings.

Hubby started sorting out the guttering and drainpipes into the second water butt on the greenhouse.

The children helped me sow some more carrots in our barrels.

I cleared out the second coldframe which was full of old pots, etc and surreptitiously squashed the snails that were overwintering in there before the children could spot me!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #1088 on: April 30, 2012, 23:23 »
Quick visit after work. Some light weeding. Observed my deeply sown peas (because of the mice) finally peeping through.

Set up a little wigwam over my old variety peas (preans) which are growing strongly now having been cloched.

Sowed two short rows of radishes just for fun.

Had a chat with a neighbour who had caught dozens and dozens of slugs in beer traps. Same as me. I am overrun with slugs this year.
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Martyg

« Reply #1089 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18 »
Inspected plot under umbrella. Cause of being on slope bottom of plot bit boggy.
Hoping for dry days this weekend

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1090 on: May 01, 2012, 14:31 »
Just been and checked out the plot.
Potatoes showing together with a few weeds got the hoe out and tidied up a bit covering the new growth on the spuds. The ground is starting to dry out . The temp staying up on a night now but still being cautious don't want jack frost to catch me out. Bring on thr sunshine.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Emmie

« Reply #1091 on: May 01, 2012, 18:05 »
Rearranged the layout of one of my greenhouses to get more tomato plants in the same space then potted on the seedlings in the other greenhouse which is getting fuller by the day.
Planning on weeding between my onions tomorrow if the weather can hold up for a while longer .
My mate has the plot next to me which he has had for 2 months now so we will be laying some more slabs to break up his space and make defined planting areas for his crops.
Tonight is the lotties AGM so I will pop aong and see what happens as I ve never been before.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1092 on: May 01, 2012, 18:40 »
had a go at rotovating our new plot but the ground is just too wet at the moment so I gave up. Took delivery of a shed which is currently lying in pieces on the plot, until it gets put together on Friday. Bargain at £20 including assembly courtesy of a plot neighbour and only needs a bit of new felt for the roof.

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1093 on: May 01, 2012, 18:43 »
Had a quick look at plot in between showers this evening only to find that 75% of the broad beens I planted out yesterday have been pulled out of the ground and chewed up I guess by rooks.
Lesson learnt is albeit they were roughly 6" tall they still needed netting    

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #1094 on: May 01, 2012, 19:09 »
Late report on yesterday. Had a big tidy up on the plot Mrs Hog came along with me and we took assorted rubbish down to the local tip. In the afternoon ventured into the bad lands of the shed found all sorts of "lost" items and can now actually see the floor!

Water started pouring again so no real chance to dig properly but did manage to christen my new edging tool on a couple of beds. Spuds are starting to show along with asparagus hope they don't drown!

Cheers HH   
Keep digging

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 36 queries.