What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

greenasgrass

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2012, 21:48 »
Dug, and dug and dug again to try and get over yesterday's heartbreak at Wembley.  :( :(

Your boys gave it one hell of a go yesterday, thats all you can ask. Couple of good chances to win it late on before extra time kicked in too. Unlucky.

Main job was tending to a strawberry patch on the plot that was looking a bit neglected. Gave it a good weeding, cut away all the dead foliage of the strawberry plants and spread a good layer of rotted muck on it. Going to start off a brand new strawberry patch sometime in the next few weeks so if I get a crop off these older plants this year it will be a bonus. I dug up most of the runners that had rooted and just potted them up for now. Checked around the roots for pests but they seem in good nick.

Planted 80 each Red Baron & Sturon onion sets in modules in the greenhouse, bit more weeding, plenty of contemplation with a butty and a brew before rain stopped play. A lot of the soil still far too wet and heavy to venture onto.

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2012, 22:33 »
Painted the Polytunnel wooden struts, moved a IBC water container to other side of plot and then harvested the last of the brussels. Squashed the brussel stalks with a hammer then chopped them up in the bean trench! Doing all of this while listening to my brand new wind up radio (Christmas pressie)  :D

Emmie

« Reply #392 on: February 28, 2012, 00:53 »
I finally got the new poytunnel up in a pretty good time of 1 hour 45 minutes with the help of my dad and its far sturdier than the one I inherited last year (same model).

My mate has been given the plot next to me and he has alot of work to do so I have relocated some of my paths to give me more growing space and also gives him some paths to walk on.

On Sunday I dug up loads of raspberry canes and loganberrys and god knows what else from my garden at home (aldi packs of fruit canes didnt individully label the canes) ready to take to the plot for my mate to create a fruit bed along a ugly old fence that the comittee will allow us to take out once security fencing has been finished off behind (loads of clearing old rubbish / elderberry bushes / weeds as well). 

Today hopefully will  get to net over the old polytunnel frame ready to grow strawberrys and brassicas in.

I saw a article where a guy planted strawberrys in an old pallet stood upright and holes cut in the wood at the front for the plants to grow out of and it seems like something that would work and be taller than the strawberry planters that you can buy so I am going to give it a go this year - does anybody have any suggestions that may help i.e. feed / watering etc. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2012, 01:04 »
Did this yesterday.
All ready for planting now :D

(I just love tractors :tongue2:)

I bet you couldn't fit that monster in a raised bed!!

Seriously - it looks beautifully clean. Perennial weeds all removed?

I love it when my plot has huge clear spaces of fresh, fine looking soil and it's time to start all over. 

I tend to do it the slower way.  ;)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2012, 07:59 »
I got out as many as I could Paul (I think I may have missed 1 :tongue2:)I love it now when I look back at the original pics!
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2012, 13:40 »
been to lidl got some seeds and two more fruit tree's pear and plum this time have planted them dressed the rest of my big onion bed ready for last of them to go in that should give us about 350 red and white onion and about 100 garlic ,
pricked out some lettuce into pots sowed some more pea's in pot's all in all a good bit done  :nowink:
keep allotments alive grow your own

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2012, 18:17 »
did not do much today

planted some broccoli in a small polytunnel they were to big for the seed trays it they don't work then nothing lost will remember not to sow so early next time  :unsure:

in greenhouse
sowed lettuce, peas, spring onion's

when the best time to plant my potato's
desiree, casa, kestrels 
i live in the south of England
there chitting nicly 1/2in green shoots 

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2012, 18:26 »
I dug and weeded another ten foot or so of a row that will take my early spuds. lots of couch grass today but i think i got the lot.
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2012, 18:57 »
hi ya :) i took a chance today and planted out 80 onion sets and 3 rows of garlic , they will do or die :lol:..........pete
if at first you don't suckseed try again

mattwragg94

« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2012, 18:58 »
managed to get 3 barrows full of weeds out of a 2m by 2m area - overall ive now got a 3m by 3m patch of soil to grow in, and hopefully i'll we able to add to it as the weeks go on.

then i planted up my red onions in trays in the greenhouse and also notice that the broad beans, cauliflower, pak choi and peas had germiated and started to break the surface.

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2012, 19:23 »
Planted my cherry,peach and plum trees today.
The first things I've planted in my allotment :D
Had to put up a temporary fence so next doors goats don't eat them!
P280212_13.39_[01] (Small).jpg

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2012, 19:24 »
did not do much today

planted some broccoli in a small polytunnel they were to big for the seed trays it they don't work then nothing lost will remember not to sow so early next time  :unsure:

in greenhouse
sowed lettuce, peas, spring onion's

when the best time to plant my potato's
desiree, casa, kestrels  
i live in the south of England
there chitting nicly 1/2in green shoots  

I put my spuds in last weekend. (In Cornwall)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 20:50 by DigIt »
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2012, 22:21 »

In the greenhouse sowed modules of kale,cabbage,lettuce,calabrese,spinach,leek psb.

Weeded the raised beds cut down autumn rasps to ground.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2012, 22:28 »
Dug, and dug and dug again to try and get over yesterday's heartbreak at Wembley.  :( :(

Your boys gave it one hell of a go yesterday, thats all you can ask. Couple of good chances to win it late on before extra time kicked in too. Unlucky.

Main job was tending to a strawberry patch on the plot that was looking a bit neglected. Gave it a good weeding, cut away all the dead foliage of the strawberry plants and spread a good layer of rotted muck on it. Going to start off a brand new strawberry patch sometime in the next few weeks so if I get a crop off these older plants this year it will be a bonus. I dug up most of the runners that had rooted and just potted them up for now. Checked around the roots for pests but they seem in good nick.

Planted 80 each Red Baron & Sturon onion sets in modules in the greenhouse, bit more weeding, plenty of contemplation with a butty and a brew before rain stopped play. A lot of the soil still far too wet and heavy to venture onto.

Thanks! Feel much better today!  :D

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #404 on: February 28, 2012, 22:58 »
Sowed 12 of each into modules on the kitchen window, most were seeds give to me - so haven't cost me much!

Albine strawberries (for the back yard)
2 different sets of sprouts (a bit early perhaps, but it says Feb on the packet!)
Some Cabbage
Onions

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 32 queries.