Grey squirrels

• 21 Replies

parson

• Experienced Member
Grey squirrels
« on: May 07, 2011, 15:26 »
Hi All

Sorry I've not been on here for a while now, but was just wondering if anyone has any problems with grey squirrels?

We have had them down raiding the wild bird feeder for years now, also had them digging up bulbs and other bits of damage here and there in the garden.

This will be the 3rd summer of us having chooks, and like last yea, we've noticed egg shells in the garden and also in the woods behind the house, as well as some in the chicken run itself.

We think it's the squirrels, but so far havnt seen any in the coop, although lately we have seen the chicken feeder in the run being knocked over, and last weekend we saw one in the run raiding the layers pellets.

As I say we THINK it's the squirrels raiding the eggs, but does anyone else have this problem or has heard about it, or generally have an opinion on it?

bantam novice

Re: Grey squirrels
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 19:14 »
Well I would not be at all surprised if it was squirrels.  They are rodents and very gymnastic.  They can get into all sorts of places.  I have not had personal experience though
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 19:26 »
Grey squirrels are known egg and chick eaters. C7MUhCwrMTc

ex-cavator

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 19:27 »
Wouldn't be surprised. Grey squirrels will eat wild birds eggs and young birds in the nest. I had them persistently trying to gnaw their way into starling nestboxes despite having fitted metal plates around the hole to keep them out  :wub:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 21:51 »
Could also be magpies, they are known to go into nesting boxes to steal eggs.  I have been keeping an eye on the ones in my garden but think they are happy stealing the pidgeon eggs at the moment.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:21 »
Grey squirrels are wily and opportunists.  They will take the eggs if they can!  Good luck!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:30 »
I think a quick and simple long lasting solution might be to get a dog.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:01 »
I have magpies taking a duck eggs at the moment. Waited till midday for them to lay as I felt we could not keep them in indefinitely. Still laid after we left and the magpie/s got it. >:(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:11 »
I have magpies taking a duck eggs at the moment. Waited till midday for them to lay as I felt we could not keep them in indefinitely. Still laid after we left and the magpie/s got it. >:(

They seem the only bird that is thriving at the moment, probably because it is eating all the other birds eggs!   :mad:

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:41 »
We had considered Magpies, though we dont have many coing into the garden, and although we know Maggies would steal the eggs if given the chance, they are still quite a wary nervous bird around humans so am unsure if they would go into the covered run and on into the coop. If the pophole just opened into the garden maybe.

We have 2 parson russell terriers who chase the squirrels if they see them, but the side of the garden where the chooks get to wander is fenced off to keep dogs and chooks seperate, the dogs are fine with the chooks when we are around but would trust them to mix when I wasnt keeping an eye out.

Think it's defo squirrels though. As I said have seen them in the run raiding the pellets.

I'll need to look out my airgun!!

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 12:42 »
We have been keeping the run door closed till we pick up the eggs. Once we get the eggs the chooks get to wander the garden.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 13:25 »
You can get traps for the grey squirrels but if you catch them you can not release them you would have to dispatch them.  There are some good squirrel recipies about though!  :blush:

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 15:55 »
I dont have a problem despatching them.

I intend getting a trap, I have shot 3 today, and when we saw the one in the run the other day we put 1 of the dogs in and closed the door, it didnt last more than a few seconds.

Thing is, if they would just stay away and not thieve, I wouldn't have to take these measures. There seems to be more of the wee blighters every year.

jamima

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 16:08 »
Oh are you allowed to shoot them ?   :( personally don't have a problem with them i have hens and the squirrels come in the garden never known them take the eggs not noticed them take the birds either.

louiseb22

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 16:12 »
Grey squirrels are not native to this country and are responsible for the decline in the population of the native Red Squirrel. It is regularly culled in large numbers due to this problem and is also classified as vermin therefore shooting them is quite legal as long as you have landowner permission.
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

xx
Squirrels

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 18:00
by ANHBUC
xx
Squirrels

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 09:30
by bantam novice
xx
Squirrels

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 20:32
by Chicken_Lover
xx
squirrels

Started by jackie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 15:58
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 33 queries.