Thin girlie?

• 4 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Thin girlie?
« on: September 18, 2008, 19:50 »
Tonight I was putting the girls into their new house and when it came the turn of our new blackrock, her keel bone was really prominant?? she feels really thin compared to the others, even the blubelle who is the same age 15-16 wks. Should I give her extra food on her own? they do come out of the coop and feed but still get bullied by the others sometimes, Is there anything I can give her that will put on weight fast???
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Thin girlie?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 22:56 »
You don't want a fat hen CL, fat hen's don't lay good eggs.  It's funny, was just talking to a chap tonight who had some of our Amberlinks in January and some of the Babcocks.  He was saying that there might be a good bit of meat on the Babcocks when they are past laying, but I told him they are all egg layers, not meant to be meaty!  Whereas the Amberlinks are a lot leaner.

But if you want to build her up a bit, can you get her away from the others for a while and let her eat more?  But don't forget, if she's too fat and well fed, she may go off lay!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Thin girlie?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:13 »
It may just be that she's a different breed to the others but keep an eye on her for any other symptoms.

You could add another feeding station to ensute that the new girls can get to the feed more easily.

Vickie & Richard

Thin girlie?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 13:28 »
My bluebelle is far bigger than any of my other birds, in size and weight.  I wouldn't worry about it hun.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Thin girlie?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:05 »
Thanks for the replies! She is a blackrock and is probably only about 14-15wks old, I have read some other threads and have been giving her some spaghetti and bread soaked in milk,(sneakily so the others dont see) there are plenty of feeding stations including one inside the henhouse so am hoping she will fill out a little her keel bone feels so sharp!!!!!

xx
Ill girlie

Started by judesailor on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 15:50
by ehs284
xx
I have a girlie!

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 11:13
by Caralou
xx
Loss of a Girlie

Started by ivygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 15:32
by hensjs
xx
a very sick girlie

Started by jakatak on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 08:41
by jhub

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 34 queries.