Ill girlie

• 8 Replies

judesailor

Ill girlie
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:11 »
One of our Ex-Bats tripped yesterday leaving the roost and it looks as though the claw on the back of her foot is hanging off somewhat - she is very docile this morning and not really interested in food - it is down to the quick as well - any advice please as worried about her.

Judith :(
'Pull yourself together' are words often spoken to people who can't

compostqueen

Re: Ill girlie
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:26 »
oooh dear, sorry to hear that. I bet it's very sore. I don't know what to do but I'm sure someone on here will be along shortly to offer expert advice. I'd take her to the vet myself to get the claw sorted out and some antibiotics

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53 »
me too, somebody else had a hen on here that almost ripped off a claw and they got the vet to remove it, she survived and was quite happy afterwards.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28 »
A trip to the vet is needed.

judesailor

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:12 »
We did go to the vet - the offending claw fell off itself in the end.

Now the lovely task of administering pain killer and antibiotics - has anyone good tried and tested methods for this (from a siringe into mouth) as not sure how you hold and administer all at the same time - never mind trying to open her beak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 13:32 »
When i have to do something that they dont like i wrap them up in a old towel first they are easier to handle that way and wont hurt themselves struggling

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 13:34 »
It is quite easy. Tuck her under one arm (if you struggle then wrap her in a towel) rest her on a solid base and with the same hand use your first finger and thumb to prize open the beak. Take your prepared syringe and squirt it down her throat, it really is easy  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 13:59 »
Easy!  I found it really hard.  My girlie kept stretching her neck  :D

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 15:50 »
You need to be a bit flexible, but this is the way we've fed and given drugs to ours. Prepare the syringe and any refills and put at right hand side. Check that the syringe slides easily when pressed with moderate pressure. Only half fill the syringe to avoid it locking. Kneel down with the bird in front between your legs and facing to the front. (Assuming right handed - if not reverse) - Talk to the bird all the time. Hold the head in left hand and gently move so the beak is very slightly up and the head is slightly tilted away from you. Take some time here to let the bird feel safe. Open the beak with the fingernail of the right hand and put fingernail of left hand into beak - it doesn't need to be fully open. Using thumb and two first fingers syringe into beak. Not too much and release beak so bird can swallow.
It might not be the quickest way, but it works for one person and doesn't frighten the bird, so you won't have a fight the next time you need to do it. HTH

xx
I have a girlie!

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 11:13
by Caralou
xx
sick girlie

Started by speedy chicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 26, 2009, 16:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Loss of a Girlie

Started by ivygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 15:32
by hensjs
xx
Thin girlie?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 09:05
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 31 queries.