Loss of a Girlie

• 3 Replies

ivygirls

Loss of a Girlie
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:31 »
 Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone had any ideas why my lovely 12 month old bluebell died yesterday.

I de mited them all on Sunday and she was her normal feisty self, then when I went to put them to bed she had already gone in and was crouching down looking a little lopsided.  Thought perhaps she was hot.  Yesterday morning she was still in the same place and wouldn't come out, I lifted her out and put her by the food, she was still in the same place when I got back from work a few hours later.  Took her out of the run and bathed her in some water as I thought perhaps it was heat stroke.  Then gave her some olive oil and citrocidal, her claws were so weak they couldn't grip my fingers.  Her wing kept going out to one side as well.  Then she suddenly went into spasm and died in my arms.  Her comb was firm and bright as were her eyes so would really love to know if anyone has any ideas as to what happened to my little beauty.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:38 by ivygirls »

compostqueen

Re: Loss of a Girlie
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:45 »
Sorry to hear about your hen but it does happen with them unfortunately.  They can go down hill very quickly and have a heart attack and die quite suddenly. 

It does make you take stock though and look at what you're doing as regards set up and feeding etc, so make sure everything is tip top and keep an eye on the other hens for any signs that they might be ill.  Being observant can alert you early enough to take steps if someone untoward happens. 

I hope this is a one-off event though and that everything is well with your other girls  :)

Fraggle

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 14:34 »
Hi Ivygirl, big hugs, I know a little of how your feeling.
We have four chickens approximately 12 weeks old. One turned out to be a boy, so on saturday the breeder swapped him for a her. All got on nicely, i dont think the other 3 even noticed it was a different chicken. Checked them yesterday morning before work...all fine. Checked them when home at 6pm...new chickie was a little quiet in the corner. 9pm..DEAD!! Im in complete shock...i really dont know what happened?? On Sunday she was sitting quite happily on my lap letting me cuddle her....lifes bizzar!

Thankfully we had only had her a couple of days so we hadn't really bonded, but its my first chicken fatality and its really knocked me. This chicken keeping lark is tough!

hensjs

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 15:32 »
Sorry to hear about your hen. It is hard when they die suddenly. I try now not to get too attached to them ...hard though.
Perhaps the mites had taken a hold which I think is what happened to one of mine but you would have seen a real drop in her spirits. I have since ensured to check in the nooks and under perches for mites regularly esp in the warmer months. Hosing the house doesn't work for long but the dilutable mite solution works well rather than the powder. Moving the house regularly also helps keep infestation down.

xx
I have a girlie!

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 11:13
by Caralou
xx
Ill girlie

Started by judesailor on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 15:50
by ehs284
xx
Thin girlie?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 09:05
by chickenlady
xx
another sick girlie

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

61 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 18:20
by karlooben

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 36 queries.