Help please ASAP - Fox attack

• 70 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Help please ASAP - Fox attack
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:41 »
Sorry didnt knwo what else to put as a title, The fox came back last night, i have lost another and have 1 injured. She is alert and quacking but has a bite in her neck.
I knwo I need to get her to the vets but it isnt open right now.

What do I do in the mean time......in tears and shaking like a leaf, im not thinking right :( please help
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 14:25 by Aunt Sally »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help please ASAP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:46 »
get her into the dark and keep her warm she could go into shock. Can you clean the wound to help prevent infection?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:48 »
Salt water, tcp? I have purple spray

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:52 »
I would use cooled boiled water. An antiseptic diluted to the correct strength should be ok. Is she still bleeding? You can stem the flow by using wound powder or at a push cornflour. Does your vet have an emergency out of hours number? If our practice is closed the answering system gives an alternative number.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:58 »
No she isnt bleeding now, its just the wound I need to sort out. Will do that now and report back later, Thanks joy.....Mornings are madness here at the best of times and 1 of my twins is ill which doesnt help as she only wants mummy.... BBl x

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:00 »
Fingers crossed, but please get her to a vet asap as she will need some A/B's to fight off infection. Keep her warm and quite dark to help stop stress. Let me know how she gets on.Hhope your twin isn't too bad.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:20 »
Been back outside, Another 3 dead in the coop. I cant do this again, Im going to rehome all the chickens and remaining ducks

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30 »
Oh Hayley, thats so sad  :(. Can you find somebody nearby who will take them in for a short while until you are sure which way to go? Then if you decide to keep them it gives you time to make fox proof runs - a safe run with weld mesh buried under the ground sounds like the way to go for your area (just think of a giant cube with their coops inside). If I was closer I would come and give you a hand xx

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 08:44 »
Sorry to read what happened. Can't imagine what you are feeling like right now!
As Joyful said really, & vet as soon as they open.

Don't make decisions whilst feeling like you do, you usually find it the wrong one later!

Beano

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:45 »
Oh dear I do feel for you. Hope your injured duck survives, she's survived so far which is a good sign.
If it's any consolation to you, I had two khaki cambells years ago (I was living with my parents) who were savaged by my dog. They even had ripped skin but they survived after a quiet few weeks. Hope you and yours get over this as well!!
El.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:52 »
Just a message of support Haley, so sorry to hear you're having such an awful time, I know exactly how you feel and my thoughts are with you.  Good luck and fingers crossed for recovery all round   hugs
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

PaulineM

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:47 »
So So Sorry
Sending my best wishes and positive vibes
Chin up
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58 »
Oh I'm so sorry,  :(

I would agree that making a decision while you are feeling like this is probably not a good idea.  I do feel for you. Take care and keep us posted.

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

pekinpete

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:46 »
one thing that i find helpful is stockholm tar i know meant for horses but i use it for wounds on birds,it does two things seals wound and is also a antiseptic.always have a jar handy

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 12:04 »
Oh heyley!

I understand exactly how you feel.

But hold on in there! Losing three beautiful girls was my introduction and I doubted my ability to be a good henkeeper. The fact that you feel this way means you care about them and are prepared to do what is needed to take care. out there in the future are chickens that need to be looked after by you - or they go to someone who may not give tuppence about their welfare.

Just remember that it's always darkest before the dawn and that whatever happens to your poor chook you have done the best you could. And remember that your chook knows in her own way that she is not alone and that her Mum is taking care of her.

If nothing else, can you really go back to supermarket eggs?

My prayers are with you so please come back to us and tell us how it goes. That's why we have the blog - to look after each other.

Pertelotte x

xx
New chucks! Help please ASAP

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 18:38
by Vonnie
xx
help with silkie crop ASAP

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 14:30
by Casey76
xx
Advice needed ASAP

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 08:55
by Sassy
xx
i have a problem with some of my chicks need help asap or she might die

Started by famerboy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 11:53
by rileyfin

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 32 queries.