Help please ASAP - Fox attack

• 70 Replies

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
Re: Help please ASAP - Fox attack
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 23:59 »
Hi Hayley, how are you managing?
Had another thought - there are proper fox traps which an urban fox may be bold enough to go into, again check with your local pest control dept. but PLEASE if you go down this route insist it is humanely destroyed, not let loose to cause havoc with someone elses pets.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 08:00 »
Not managing too well at all if Im honest, I cant get rid of this sense of dread in the pit of my stomach, it brings tears to my eyes when ever I think about it, Hate waking in the morning because Im too scared to open the curtains to anything!! (sorry)

I have just had a message on FB from someone offering to dispatch it for me if i can catch it, So thats something else to look into. I wouldnt allow it to just be set free to have someone else go through what im going through now. So if i go down that route it will be done properly.

On the plus side though Jamima seems to be doing well, leaving me lots of pressents all over the laundry, eatting and drinking. She had a bath last night so is nice and white again, and looking a lot better in herself.

Thanks all
Hayley :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 08:16 »
so pleased Jamima is getting over her ordeal, they recover far quicker than we do. I remember a fox getting my two girlie ducks (one of these was also called Jamima and the other Puddle  ::)) when we lived in Nottingham. You will get over this but it does take time, remember though we are all here for you xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27 »
It will take time for you to push this sense to the back of your mind so don't be sorry we all would be the same, good that Jamima is doing well, Pol x
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 08:32 »
That horrible dread feeling and the tears are mostly likely to be shock; it's a nasty experience you have been through.  It should pass in a week or two.  You'll obviously still feel sad but you will be able to make a more rational decision on whether to continue.

But, will you be able to give up Jemima, now you've nursed her through her ordeal?  I'd be doubly attached to her.

Jeanette

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05 »
I am pleased to hear that Jemima is getting over her ordeal. You are still in shock, it will take a while before you feel that you can get up in the morning and face the day again but i promise it will come. We are all here for you, please dont feel that you are on your own some of us have been through the same thing. Take care, be kind to yourselve, I am sending more ((((((hugs )))))) Jeanette. xx

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 10:54 »
Glad she is making a good recovery. A bath really does seem to perk them up brilliantly. You've got my number so please give me a ring if there is anything I can do.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 11:28 »
I would agree whole heartedly with Jeanette.

I think you are in shock BUT you are doing a brilliant job with Jemima. You are so obviously showing her a lot of love and care which must be helping her recover.

At the risk of trampling over with hob nailed boots, take a look in the mirror at the kind thoughtful woman who really cares about her hens, the one we all see. You so patently love Jemima I think it would be devastating if you let her go. Just hold on in there and don't let the bad feelings eat you up. Easy to say, I know, but I think SusieB nailed it when she said you might be in shock, but it will pass.

Take care of you and if you want to talk pm me and I'll give you my number.

Pertelotte x

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 12:06 »
Thank you all so so much, You all made me cry again, had tears streaming down my face reading you replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 12:18 »
Oh I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through.

Are there a lot of foxes in your area?  I'm just wondering if I need to be more prepared, once we close the door to the coop at night we don't really worry about them presuming they are safe and snug.  I guess they are getting into your coop?

Is there a practical answer?  I'm not sure what your set up is.

Lots of sympathy, really hope you get your confidence back, your obviously devoted to your chooks.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 14:22 »
Please lets not turn this into a debate about rights and wrongs. This thread has been a great help to me and my children and I really dont want it getting heated and locked.

Thanks  :)

Verminer

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 14:47 »
Hayley i,m sorry

i just wanted people to be aware that air rifles (unless section one firearm rated) will not cleanly dispatch anything bigger than a rabbit.
i truly am sorry about your ducks but foxes will be foxes and thats what they do & unfortunaetly they are damn good at it. we have loads of the little blighters down here and i find a shotgun is best "they don't like it up em". you could try obtaining some advice from a pest control firm,
now i am not sure if this works or not but an old boy who use to come shooting with me swore by collecting hair from a salon and putting it into stockings or tights and hanging it in various locations around his chicken fencing and he said that the foxes never came anywhere near them again.
Regards Sandy

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 14:27 »
yes verminer i heard that one also if males urinate around the peremiter that is supposed to work and dog faeces is supposed to keep them away there are all sorts of old remedies don't know if any work though

hillfooter

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 16:16 »
Yes hair is supposed to work however it's supposed to be strong in pheromones so is best not to be from your head so collect from the plug hole after doing your bikini lines! ???

HF
Truth through science.

helens-hens

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 17:07 »
Yes hair is supposed to work however it's supposed to be strong in pheromones so is best not to be from your head so collect from the plug hole after doing your bikini lines! ???

HF

Well, if that doesn't put them off ........
Helen

xx
New chucks! Help please ASAP

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 18:38
by Vonnie
xx
Advice needed ASAP

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 08:55
by Sassy
xx
i have a problem with some of my chicks need help asap or she might die

Started by famerboy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 11:53
by rileyfin
xx
help with silkie crop ASAP

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 14:30
by Casey76

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 28 queries.