i have a problem with some of my chicks need help asap or she might die

• 7 Replies

famerboy

i have a chick she is about 6 weeks old and she hasn't been eating for a while and she is starving now i think it was because all the other bigger chicks .. she is a silkie and need help she is laying down with her eyes closed she was eating a bit but not no more ... i need help or suggestions to get her to eat or something that i could give her
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 17:37 by famerboy »

splash101

First thing i would do is seperate it from the others, a cardboard box would do for now

you could try soaking some chick crumb in warm water to make a runny porridge consistancy and try syrynging some into it (you would have to be careful, i've never done on chickens but aviary chicks) or try putting some on the end of a teaspoon, try and get it to have some water as well
Is there any blood in the poo?
Is she laying on her side? with her eyes closed or just huddled up?

hopefully someone else can offer some more advice

famerboy

she is seperated her she is inside with me she hasn't pooped since she has been inside she is not on her side she is just sitting there with her head down as low as her body is .. i will try that with the food.. thanks for your help and i hope she gets better but i don't know.. when she was outside she walked very slow and stuff but thanks

jhub

• jane
Also check the vent isn't clogged with poo.

ehs284

Warm water with sugar; syringe or teaspoon against side of beak (so will not choke)

grinling

one of mine is the runt and so I seperated her, feeding food of a spoon and dunking beak in water. Put her in a hat and carried her around. Thought at one point she had died. It is now thriving and hopefully will be a hen.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
cant help sorry but couldnt read and run - hows she doing now? x

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
If you have a docile chick put it in with her, when she sees the other eat it may incourage her to do so. Also the company would be good for her.

the sugar water is a really good idea. Put cider apple vinigar in the normal water if and when she picks up.

I have hatched alot of silkies this year and last, sometimes chicks can just seem to give up but with a little tlc even the poorest cases can pick up, so do not give up.

I have some very nice mini bearded black silkie chicks and at approx 2 weeks one just stopped thirving, it was hunched with droopy wings and head down. It now attacks my feet and chases me when I go out in the garden, she is not being nasty just wants me to pick her up  :tongue2:

sugar water, cider apple vinegar, little poultry spice in wet food all seemed to do the trick.

Fingers crossed and good luck ::)

xx
Help! Help! Advice on lighting for chicks? ASAP

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 02:37
by Beekissed
xx
problem with chicks

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 08:13
by themagicaltoad1
xx
problem chicks

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 15:44
by andreadon
xx
problem chicks - update

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:15
by karlooben

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.