Help please ASAP - Fox attack

• 70 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: Help please ASAP
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40 »
Thanks for you all well wishes for Jermima, Back for vets with Anti b and a perscription for lots of TLC. Im still shaken and dont know what to do for the best, but Pertelotte has made me stop and think. I do love my girls all of them, and dont think my garden would ever be the same again without them in it.

I'll keep you posted

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 13:01 »
just don't rush into things, decide the best way to make your place fox proof - whether electric fencing or by using weld mesh.
I am glad Jamima will be ok with your TLC  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 13:39 »
Just caught up with this thread.... I've tears rolling down my cheeks and my vision is blurrie. Hope your little duck will be OK. That Mr. Fox is such a bad one. As advised give yourself a bit of time before you make the right choices for you and your flock.

OL

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 14:21 »
Sorry to hear this Hayley.  I wish you well and also I echo the advice about not making hasty decisions.  You can overcome the fox threat but it does take planning and some effort but ultimately worthwhile if you get to keep your birds in a safe environment.

Best wishes
HF
Truth through science.

Jeanette

Re: Help please ASAP - Fox attack
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 16:11 »
Oh Hayley i am so sorry my heart goes out to you. Please think again aiout giving it all up. The same thing happened to me so i do know how heartbreaking it is. It sounds like you have got your hands full at the moment with the children being ill as well. If i lived closer i would be there for you. Can you give yourself a little rest from the chickens and when you feel better (and you will feel better soon ) then look into having a walk in run built that is completely fox proof, that is what i have done. I still miss seeing them run around the garden but now i know they are safe. If you give up then the fox has won, and you are lossing out on any other chickens you could have. I am sending(((((hugs)))))
Jeanette X

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 16:15 »
So sorry Hayley, you must be hurting so badly. I lost one in her sleep at the weekend and I felt dreadful, so the devastation you faced must have been awful. Please give yourself some time to think everything through and make the decision when you are calmer or you may regret doing things in haste. I hope your little one makes it through her injuries, my thoughts are with you. Lol Sue

Thrift

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 17:29 »
Poor Hayley, I know exactly how you feel .... just makes you feel sick. All the more difficult with a sick child too. I should keep them all locked in for a while anyway as they'll be quite traumatised. Good luck, whatever you decide.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 17:30 »
Ive lost two lots to that dastardly Mr Fox and the cold winter we are having is making him even more cunning.

The first time I secured the run even more than it already was.

The second I turned it into fort know and now even though he comes a calling theres nothing he can do to get the girls.

Dont give up hun just re asses the situation on how they live space wise and in a few days you will be glad you did!

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 17:52 »
Good luck and I'm sure Jemima will get better soon.  Fingers crossed xx
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 19:24 »
don't forget hayley give me a shout if you need me to come and help you fox proof

22fox

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 00:51 »
Im really sorry to hear about your experience! I believe the way to prevent this is an electric fence & an air rifle (used safely of course) with these two things keeping chickens is easy! This will set u back around £150 -£180 (electric fence) but this is a wise investment! Can recommend some supply places for you! I live in Mr Fox HQ hear in south London! When i come home at night 2-3 foxes are walking in front of me! My nan have a fox that comes to her garden as she feeds it! and not one hint of danger!

Dont be put off by this as we all learn from experience! Its soon spring that means little chicks! If you need help re-homing? I'm sure i can help!

Best wishes

I<3exbatts

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16 »
Hi Hayley
Sorry to hear about your problems, don't give up. I would agree maybe farm them out for a short while while you get yourself together and look at security, now it knows there is a meal he will be checking you out for a long time.
Also check with the councils pest control officer, if they can't do anything they may be able to recommend someone who has a 'license to kill'
I have more problems with stoats with my call ducks, every time I lose one I say I'm selling up, but I look at my gorgeous little ducks and can't part with them.
The last time we had a fox problem it was in daylight, it was shot the following night.
Everything (hens ducks and geese) is locked in secure huts at dusk

ehs284

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35 »
Hi Hayley,
Bad news. I hope she's going to be OK. Do check the wound and smell it. Any odour, puss or swelling needs attention. Sometimes the wound seems to heal then the infection breaks out again.
Some people have suggested shooting, but, where you live I wouldn't suggest that it would be wise.  You could try asking the fox preservation societies for advice - yes, they will know a lot about fox behaviour. Pest control/environmental health are a good idea. The fox population in Manchester is a major problem with food waste being a common target. I'm sorry to say this, but if you get rid of the current fox then it will just be replaced by another taking over the 'patch'. Perhaps better to keep the one you've got and 'persuade' it that your garden is not a safe area.
Have you thought of a decoy either with a wire from the electric fence or with a soap stuffing?
Perhaps easier is to raise their coop - put it on legs, metal on the underneath and lift up the access ramp when they go to bed. This can be done automatically if necessary (a variation on HFs door closer).
Don't give up.
Best wishes

hillfooter

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 11:11 »
Have you thought of a decoy either with a wire from the electric fence or with a soap stuffing?
Perhaps easier is to raise their coop - put it on legs, metal on the underneath and lift up the access ramp when they go to bed. This can be done automatically if necessary (a variation on HFs door closer).
Don't give up.
Best wishes

I tend to agree that shooting the fox unless it was part of a wider cull wouldn't be totally effective.  If you have an educated fox though which has learnt that there are easy pickings killing it might help and coupled with some deterents before the new fox has learnt, that might be quite effective.

Re the decoy idea you can run a wire around the house with a strip of bacon wrapped securely round it and some copper wire wound round so if a fox sniffs it it will get a nasty shock once bitten it won't come back.  Our cat once tried to go through our poultry net and got a shock and then got badly tangled up in it.  She's never gone within 20yards of it since and similarly my daughter's dog.

No such measures aren't absolute guarentees of keeping a fox out, as a determined and educated fox can get round such measures but they help provided the fox doesn't get wise.

HF

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 18:59 »
Oh Hayley, I'm so sorry to hear about this , it's devastating to lose them.

As others have said, don't rush into anything. If you wanted to rehome them for a short period of time while you get things sorted, I'll happily take them and happy to come over and do what I can to make your place as secure as possible.

As you say, the place wouldn't be the same without them so hopefully you can sort something out.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
New chucks! Help please ASAP

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 18:38
by Vonnie
xx
Advice needed ASAP

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 08:55
by Sassy
xx
i have a problem with some of my chicks need help asap or she might die

Started by famerboy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 11:53
by rileyfin
xx
help with silkie crop ASAP

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 14:30
by Casey76

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 28 queries.