How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 07:35 »
I'm growing Galina, Stupice and Urbikany outside in pots at home. They are all flowering and I have a 2cm tomato on one of the Stupice plants.

The lowest set of leaves on most plants are dead/dying but that was due to the wind-it's been pretty blustery for the past month but the higher growth is good.

All in all I'm fairly happy, but ask me again in 2 months!  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 07:49 »
One of four Gardeners Delight given to me by my brother in law, (grown in his greenhouse) has broken in the wind - the other three got hit by frost so the lower leaves are not good looking but I do have flowers. they appear much greener that the ones I grew on the window cill

Of the Tom seeds I planted, only 2 of the 10 of the 100 & 1000s survived the transplant into individual plots, however all of the 12 G Delight, Plum and Cherry Toms seem to have survived potting up

The largest 2 G Delight and 2 Plum toms are now in buckets in the mini plastic greenhouse on the allotment and a similar quantity have been re potted into 6" pots at home. There are many more as I grew a doz of each that appear to be slower growers are in the clod frame and I'm holding in reserve.

More than likely they will be grow in buckets or large pots or Tugs down on the area of the allotment I have not been able to get ready for anything else. I have been told that Tom don't do well and get Blight down on the allotment, but giving them a chance is better than composting them. (I will see how many I can get away with growing at home)

Cherry Toms don't seem to want to grow any taller/ bigger at the moment?

Brewing some Nettle and Comfrey tea to assist their growth. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 09:19 »
but I have flowers on the Chocolate Cherokee and Wladecks you gave me 

I also have German Orange Strawberry and Brooks Special in the greenhouse, then Latah and Maskotka outside 

Ooh good - I'll need a report on all of those  :lol:

All my outside ones look as if they've turned up their toes  :( We've had a few nights down to 6C, and what with the wind we've had lately  >:(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:20 by mumofstig »

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 09:42 »
All like little Russian shotputters. Branches of fruit seem very close together though.

Stree

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 10:20 »
Those Black Sea toms sound similar to the Black Truffles that I am growing, deep reddy purple getting to 16 ounce.
I watched Mr. Don last night and he had a spot about Basil and toms.
I have a basil growing alongside each tomato plant, in the same pot or growbag.
 I hear they keep some pests away but are also a good accompaniment to tomatoes.

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 12:12 »
My alicante's look like they are having a right sulk, they've been fine out on the patio until this wind decided to appear  :( given them a feed and put them into the entry at the side of the house for some shelter
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

Agatha

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 14:35 »
I am not speaking to anyone whose tomatoes are flowering  >:(.  Mine are tiny and haven't grown for ages.  I am sulking!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 16:52 »
I am not speaking to anyone whose tomatoes are flowering  >:(.  Mine are tiny and haven't grown for ages.  I am sulking!
You can talk to me then cos mine aren't either!  I just went out and glared at them and told them to get a move on!

itsallabouttheworms

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 17:49 »
I have 6 Red Cherry all about 3ft tall and two trusses flowering. 10 Beefsteak about the same. 8 Brandywine about the same. 4 of my first batch of Brandywine (which got a bit of weedkiller damage but got through it) are setting massive fruits too! (All in the greenhouse).
The Brandywine variety seems to have yellowing leaves - but I'm pretending they're OK  :unsure:

Stree

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 18:41 »
Are they the yellow Brandywine? If so, mine are yellowish leaves too. Maybe that's just how they are?

stainesbloke

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 19:51 »
Am growing most of my tomatoes in the polytunnel this year, they are all pushing 2 foot+ now with lots of flowers. The Ferline has a few developing green toms. Am growing Black Cherry, Ferline, Ailsa Craig, Alicante, Big Boy, Green Zebra, Red Zebra, Sungold and Gardeners Delight. First year growing them inside so hopefully am not making too many mistakes!

itsallabouttheworms

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 20:33 »
(Stree: Ha! Good point...*checking* No, they're Red Brandywine: I just checked the website (organiccatalogue) where I got them and, funnily enough, the picture that advertises them has the same yellowing leaves...so maybe that's just what they do after a while!)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 21:46 by itsallabouttheworms »

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 20:42 »
mine have gone crazy

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 21:26 »
Ate my first cherry tomato today (sweet baby), I sowed them on 20th Feb and have grown them on a south facing window sill and luckily have the room to keep them there so they haven't had to contend with the variable weather conditions.
Have another few starting to ripen now and as soon as I can find the batteries for my camera I'll do my very best
to post a few piccies............................................ooh and by the way it was scrumptious :happy:
DSCF1089.JPG
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 21:36 by Jabberwock »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 08:19 »
but I have flowers on the Chocolate Cherokee and Wladecks you gave me 

I also have German Orange Strawberry and Brooks Special in the greenhouse, then Latah and Maskotka outside 

Ooh good - I'll need a report on all of those  :lol:

Noted ma'am  ;)

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
Put my toms out

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:22
by Rangerkris
xx
toms

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 12:22
by DD.

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 30 queries.