Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1980 on: July 23, 2013, 20:33 »
Sowed some kale in a seed bed for winter

Hoed

Watered anything with fruits

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1981 on: July 23, 2013, 21:16 »

They are two foot slabs so they will make the centre path on dads plot.

They sound like old council slabs and very heavy.  Tell him to be careful else he will do his back in.

They are the ones by the look of it. They are incredibly heavy, i just wonder about my poor car  :blink:

Flowertot

« Reply #1982 on: July 23, 2013, 22:16 »
Just a quick visit after work to pick and water the urgent stuff.  I need to win the lottery so I can spend more time there    ;)

Jackypam

« Reply #1983 on: July 23, 2013, 23:08 »
Just a quick visit after work to pick and water the urgent stuff.  I need to win the lottery so I can spend more time there    ;)
funny isn't it... Win the lottery and we all want to give up work, but no one wants to give up working on the plot!

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1984 on: July 23, 2013, 23:14 »
Well done for getting a Cauli.
it aint a monster but nice for our tea  :D

Its called dinner down here.  Tea is a drink drunk at 4pm often served with jam and scones, sometimes cake.  :happy:
well pardon my English but up north we not quite that posh :tongue2: :tongue2:

Jackypam

« Reply #1985 on: July 23, 2013, 23:22 »
funny isn't it... Win the lottery and we all want to give up work, but no one wants to give up working on the plot!

I wonder, say you won Sixty million quid.  Would you still do your allotment?  Isn't that what goes wrong when people do that, gain money and loose the value of life.  An accountant can tell you the cost of everything but knows the value of nothing.
i suppose £60m is a bit of a life changer.  Maybe you are right and I'd be too busy to dig, or just live somewhere really glamorous where they don't have veggie plots or allotment....  Nah!

Flowertot

« Reply #1986 on: July 23, 2013, 23:24 »

I wonder, say you won Sixty million quid.  Would you still do your allotment?  Isn't that what goes wrong when people do that, gain money and loose the value of life.  An accountant can tell you the cost of everything but knows the value of nothing.

I have absolutely no doubt that if I won the lottery I would keep growing veg as I am totally addicted...maybe not my allotment, perhaps a new walled garden attached to the new manor house instead... :lol:

Jackypam

« Reply #1987 on: July 23, 2013, 23:43 »

I have absolutely no doubt that if I won the lottery I would keep growing veg as I am totally addicted...maybe not my allotment, perhaps a new walled garden attached to the new manor house instead... :lol:

Now you're talking, 50 acres, Plus 100 acres of woodland. Comfy house with a walled garden.  Thats how to spend a lot of money.  A herd of Alpacas.  A donkey sanctuary, home for old horses.  Chicken sanctuary for battery hens.  Need a team of course.  But thats the way to do it.
. Including cleaners and a cook for when you don't feel like it, and to do the clearing up when you do, oh and a large orchard, a bit like the one at rhs Wisley.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1988 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20 »
Because it was due to thunderstorm yesterday instead of spending my precious hour I had watering I thought I'd catch up on a bit of weeding- I'd sown some 3 yr old parsnip seed and some Bora swedes under a shade netting tunnel and had left them (bar watering them) for weeks as had other stuff to do.  Only one parsnip came up, but not surprised there really.

On lifting the tunnel off, I found a very few chomped swedes and loads of weeds and slugs.  Funny thing is a few meter opposite I'd catch cropped turnips and radish and pak choi with module Chinese kale about the same time- but Lidl fine net curtained them against butterflies (2x 3m by 3m curtains £5), no slugs and not many weeds. 
The difference must be the shade? Am not a big slug pellet user.

30 slugs under that small shade tunnel, none at all under the net! They hit the sluggy pub.
(also counted 7 cabbage whites a romin' around, and 5 various types ladybirds on my blackflied beans  :D)

Had my first two cues and it's courgette city out there  8)  Also feeling smug about my baby pumpkins forming as had to pay £1.90 for a half of a crown prince yesterday.  Grow little pumpkins, grow...

photo 1- poor chomped swede from shade netting, photo 2 brassicas under net curtain, photo 3- comparision
IMG00170.jpg
IMG00172.jpg
IMG00173.jpg

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #1989 on: July 24, 2013, 14:19 »
 :( We've had no rain to speak of as all the thunder storms seemed to pass us by leaving us with dregs. My daughter 1 mile up the road has had 2 massive storms in 4 days! Anyway, we watered toms and fruit and plotfather started to remove an inherited fence which is being replaced by some decent fence panels found in a skip  :). very excited to find pumpkins of various sizes on my plants  :) Had a cuppa and a chat with plot neighbours and bought a cabbage, lettuce, some spinach, beetroot and courgette home. Lovely morning :D

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1990 on: July 24, 2013, 15:28 »
Watered mine and 2 others who are away.

No sign of this supposed storm - light drizzle late last night over Derriford Hospital but everything dry this morning.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1991 on: July 24, 2013, 19:43 »
After technical issues at this end are sorted then I can report that many spuds/carrots/french beans/broccoli harvested. But some celery showing signs of bolting and the entire celtuce crop has bolted!!. Too much sunshine?

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1992 on: July 24, 2013, 21:06 »
I cant believe people didnt get the storm! It was biblical here, thunder and lightning and torrential rain from 2.30am to 10am, didnt get a wink of sleep!

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1993 on: July 24, 2013, 21:25 »
I cant believe people didnt get the storm! It was biblical here, thunder and lightning and torrential rain from 2.30am to 10am, didnt get a wink of sleep!

I'm very disappointed we didn't here, drove up to Derby yesterday and through the most amazing thunder storm, but nothing had happened here, nothing at all.  Still pretty warm too.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

bravemurphy

« Reply #1994 on: July 24, 2013, 21:32 »
dug some kestrel spuds tonight and had curry with them as chips.

best chips I have ever cooked  :)

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 37 queries.