Flies

• 82 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Flies
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 08:14 »
yes it is difficult on the chipped bark, but pick up when you can.  It should be easier this weather as it dries so can be picked up with a gloved hand  :) or with a trowel etc. It's advised that you use a sprinkling of lime on the bark on a yearly basis if you're not going to replace it, but you  have to keep the birds off it while you do it, which is not easy I know.  I have bark in my Eglu run which gets turned to dust very quickly and I have to replace this frequently.  I think if you keep on top of it, and feed a little garlic powder mixed into their food, you should be ok

Avon do a citronella spray oil (not really for chooks  :)) but this can be sprayed - where the hens can't lick - on your woodwork etc as it's an insect repellant.  Smells nice too  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 09:29 »
If they are passing a lot of water with their poo then they may have a gut infection or worms that will need treating.

My chooks run is covered with clear corrugated sheeting and thier bark chips stay dry.  Their poo deyhdrares and falls to the bottom I rake the bark chips up and remove the dry dusty poo and put it in the compost bin.  Replace the bark and top up if needed.

I do this about once a week or fortnight if I'm busy.  You could sprinkle the run soil with lime and dig it over before replacing the chips.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:32 by Aunt Sally »

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 09:46 »
Aunt Sally, their poo has been like that since they arrived in October.  I feel a little lost as I thought we had five healthy hens who we were taking good care of.
How do I find out about what to do?  I'm very worried now.
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 09:47 »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52 »
I would take the runniest poo one to the vet and tell the vet that they are all like it.

Ensure your hygiene is good too as the infection could be salmonella.

Didn't your chicken sitters do anything about the smell and flies while you were away ?

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 09:57 »
We have a small garden and our coup is about a metre from the back door.  Having not kept rabbits or guinea pigs for years I can't decide whether this is normal.  My sister has bred hens for years and says ours are fine. 
My vet won't see our hens as we are in London so he just deals with domestic animals.  I'm had a ring round and all of the vets round here feel the same.  I was going to post a question on here to ask if anyone knew one near to Bexley that i could use.
So, until that point, what do I do.  Or more to the point, how do I find out what to do.  The pictures are great but I don't know what to do!!

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 09:59 »
I have never heard/seen/read??  ::) :D doh!! anyone mention Aubiose when reading any of the chickeny chat posts -

I use it in my eglu all the time and it is wonderful stuff.

A big bag costs about £7 and lasts me well over a year !

Eglus are ace...we used to have one...nearly bought another one at the weekend to put Quail in....til we realised they are noisy too.  So now we're having decking instead. :blink:  Not QUITE the same...  :wub: ::) :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Lady Lottie

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01 »
Anyone asked what you feed your hens on yet?  Maybe it is a wee dietary problem that could be easily adjusted?  Just a thought...

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09 »
Anyone asked what you feed your hens on yet?  Maybe it is a wee dietary problem that could be easily adjusted?  Just a thought...

good point

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 10:10 »
They have layers pellets, shell & grit.  We give them a bowl of veg every three days or so and they get to dig in the garden when they are out.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13 »
My sister has bred hens for years and says ours are fine. 

That's surprising - did you get your chooks from her ?  If so perhaps hers are squitty too.  What vet does she use, could you go there ?

Try putting your postcode into this link

http://www.any-uk-vet.co.uk/

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 10:21 »
She's in Wales, I'm London.  None of our hens are from her.  They all appear to poo the same!! 

Thank you for the link, I've put my postcode in and most of them I'm tried and they won't see the hens.  I'll keep phoning. 

I'm still at the point that I'm worried as I thought we were doing well and now I'm feeling like a pretty hopeless keeper! 

Lady Lottie

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 10:22 »
Give them some Verm-X while you wait to find a vet who will see them?  It might improve things...

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 10:25 »
Give them some Verm-X while you wait to find a vet who will see them?  It might improve things...
May be you should explain what Verm-X is and what it does? I would like to know.

Lady Lottie

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 10:26 »
Sorry...

You can buy it from Omlet online, their blurb says:

Verm-X for chickens
Verm-X is a 100% natural pellet for free range chickens that is ideal for controling all known parasites in chickens such as worms. Verm-X Pellets are ideal for chickens kept or following organic farming methods
Being a 100% natural herbal formula there is no need to stop using the eggs whilst treating your hens.

Feeding Directions

Add 2.5g per chicken to feed for 3 consecutive days - repeat every 4 weeks.
A 2.5g scoop is in the re sealable tub – please keep tub sealed and in dry conditions

This is a 250gram bag which gives 33 x 3 day servings so will last 4 chickens 8 months.

xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 13:52
by joyfull
xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 11:35
by joyfull
xx
FLIES!!!!

Started by tezlin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by Beano
xx
flies???

Started by justin hender on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 13:53
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 29 queries.