Flies

• 82 Replies

raeburg

Re: Flies
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2009, 14:08 »
I'd definatley agree with having a roof over the run.  I didn't to start with but have since added corrugated plastic sheeting (and managed to ask the timber yard for firrings whilst looking like I knew what I was talking about) and it helps with smell.  Like Aunty says, the poo dries and is easier to remove.  Also the girls get to have a dust bath all year round.  Last night there were six in a row all dust bathing :)

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2009, 14:11 »
Thanks Aunt Sally.  I've just phoned my husband and told him all the things we need to do!
I'm still a bit confused about the poo so after I've wormed them I'll post a picture of the new poo and ask for your advice.

Raeburg, we have a shelter over one end which we call their bus stop but maybe that's not big enough so we'll cover more of the run.  Thanks
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 14:15 »
I would cover the whole of the run.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2009, 14:17 »
My feeling is that you may have bought them from the supplier with an active infection already Blarney as you said they have always had diarrhea.  I think they may well need antibiotics for it.  

There is no urgent hurry as they have had it for a long time so after the worming if it's not resolved would be sensible.  You can imagine how nasty it must be to have diarrhea all the time I'm sure  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2009, 14:18 »
Where's your big smilies picture gone Ruff, did you delete it ?  ::)

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2009, 14:20 »
I'm stunned as they are so happy, have grown and laid nearly every day.  I'll try to find a vet and will go from there.  Thank you for the advice. x

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2009, 14:29 »
er might have done.
er
 my
hand er
slipped Boss

poultrygeist

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2009, 16:11 »
Am I right in thinking watery poo can also be overheating or under-eating ?

Just thought of it.

Rob 8)

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2009, 17:22 »
Mine drink a lot and they like their grub!

karlooben

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2009, 20:15 »
i would love to cover my run but it would cost a small fortune as its 10 m by 6m and yes i have noticed the flies have got worse but i am on a allotment site so i aint that worried in one way . it would be quite hard for me to collect my poo daily thats within the run but i think i will start trying to do it now . and after the freaky scares i have had recently that from now on my house will be jeyes out weekly to keep all bugs etc etc down .
but i did notice the girls trying to catch the flies they wont hurt the girls if they do eat them will they ??

p.s blarney if your ever stuck just come here u will meet the nicest of ppl and get all the help u need  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2009, 20:24 »
The larger the run area per hen the less often it will need cleaning out Looby.

You have 60 squ metres and for arguments sake we'll say you have 15 hens (give or take a couple) so they have 4 squ metres of space each (as opposed to a minimum of 1 squ meter each).  I'd say cleaning it out every 3 weeks or so would be fine.

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2009, 20:44 »
Hi Blarney, bless you! I have been having the exact same problem with flies!! Yuck. ??? But i have picked up as much as i can, i also rake out my coup and i sprinkle everywhere with bird grit and sand which seems to have a little control on it all. :)
But this this weather isnt even mega hot, so god help us if we have a really hot summer. I am in exactly the same boat as you. Working full time, running a family and looking after my beloved hens. You are doing a good job your four hens sound just as happy as my four!
Dont take to much to what people reply to heart, everyone has there own opinion!
Take care.  :) :) :) ;)

Henrietta.
Live, Love and Laugh!

karlooben

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2009, 20:45 »
wow thankyou auntie i wasnt expecting a reply like that  :lol:. ok then sorry to change the subject but just a quicky though would i be pushing it to add another 6  when the time is right and as we know that isnt just yet .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2009, 20:52 »
You have enough space there - just , they stay in ther all the time don't they so the more space they have the better.  Not just for hygeine but for behavioural problems too. 

As you've said you need to ensure every thing is infection and parasite free and all the chooks are well before introducing any more  :)

karlooben

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2009, 20:56 »
if i did get some more then it wont be until  the end of summer as this will be my first proper summer with the girls an no doubts i am going to get probs with the heat , more learning to do first i feel .

xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 11:35
by joyfull
xx
FLIES!!!!

Started by tezlin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by Beano
xx
flies???

Started by justin hender on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 13:53
by richyrich7
xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 13:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.