Verve Compost

• 21 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Verve Compost
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 10:15 »
I used the 125 litre bags of Verve last year to fill my home-made planters in the greenhouse and thought the appearance and texture was pretty good - a few odd bits of plastic in it but nothing major.

Impossible to know whether that involved a certain amount of luck - there may well be inconsistencies from batch to batch as well as from year to year. It did seem to run out of nutrients rather quickly, but I expect to be using it again this year and will add a little fertiliser to be on the safe side.

Although the gardening department of BNQ is not the ideal place to conduct a detailed forensic examination of the product you will usually find at least one damaged bag  ::) which can give you a few clues as to the quality of that batch.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 11:14 »
Having used the usual makes and not been impressed of late, my neighbour got me six of the bean-and-queued biggest bags a year ago. It actually smelt like compost should and I didn't find too many lumps or other stuff in it, so would recommend it as one of the best for a bargain, especially if you are sixty or over and go on a Wednesday for you discount.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 14:36 »
Used it twice, bought 2 lots of 3-for-2 or similar.
First lot wasn't great but second lot was better. I guess that means they source from at least 2 places (very likely more).

I use it as a base and will add other bits to it, as in one bag Verve + one bag manure and grow veg in a container. So really even the poorer of the two purchases did what I wanted. The better bags were fairly good as a general compost.

Whatever you get the nutrients are added and wash out, so I look upon it as buying the base material and then customising it for the final purpose.

If you have a poorish soil then it is an inexpensive way of altering the structure for such things as a raised bed or new plot to grow things in.

Steveharford

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 19:44 »
With you there AnnieB. I use it in the same way. Just as a base. I make the assumption that there is no goodness in it and add my own nutrients. Whether as a base for things like tomato plants or general potting on etc. I also use it to lighten up my clay soil with the addition of sand and a bit of muck. I also like the 'bulkness' of the 125 lit bales. Never had a bad batch but I believe that last year they had problems with quality. Seems to be sorted now.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 18:00 »
I think it was recommended last year by Which? as best seed growing compost

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 23:35 »
GrowinGrowinGone, if you have problems with water absorption then the compost may have dried out slightly, the best way to re-wet is to water with a soap solution.

Every bag I have had of it, even last year, they all had the same problem with absorbing water.  And now you mention it, they have all been bone dry.  Thanks for that tip though, i will try that in future :)
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 11:44 »
I use it too. Mine's had a lot of coir lumps, twigs and plastic, but it's cheap and I know now to sieve before using with seedlings.

Good tip on the discount -will be bundling my Mum over that way to use her discount.  :lol:

xx
Any Comments On B&Q Verve Compost?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 18:13
by steved
xx
Verve Peat free compost

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 15:09
by savbo
xx
Improving Verve Multi-Purpose Compost

Started by jrko on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 22:34
by Goneterseed
xx
B & Q Verve MPC

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 15:39
by Dave NE

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 33 queries.