Improving Verve Multi-Purpose Compost

• 19 Replies

3759allen

Re: Improving Verve Multi-Purpose Compost
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 19:41 »
i've used verve for 2 years, no problem and very impressed. imo if it aint broke don't fix it.

i only use mine for sowing seeds and potting on so they aren't in there too long. i've never had a problem with germination. i don't use it in any of my beds so can't comment how it would be for that purpose.

the easiest and cheapest way to boost the mpc would be home made compost or manure.

i'm a little sceptical about how good many so called additives actually work, a lot of them you seem to pay for the description and hype, and there is minimal improvement in results.   

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 13:14 »
I wouldn't add either manure or home made compost to MPC used for seed sowing.  You risk introducing disease to an otherwise sterilised environment.

For potting into permanent plants I'd consider adding manure or home made compost, but again I think I'd actually use them for the ground instead.  They don't contribute much to fertility - they are far more relevant to soil structure, and MPC's structure isn't poor but gets quickly exhausted. 

I'd consider improving the MPC with (long-lasting) fertilisers appropriate to the plants being grown, instead.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

3759allen

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 17:34 »
ah yeah. didn't mean to add anything for seedlings or potting on, but you could for mpc thats in a raised bed. always been rubbish at grammar.

i'm now using rabbit manure, the droppings break down far slower than the bedding material. so i have lovely well rotted manure with natural little capsules which i'm hoping will release goodness slowly over the season. i have no scientific evidence for this but my plants seem to love the stuff.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 22:25 »

Gave  a new bloke to the allotments a couple of rhubarb crowns to get him started, was rewarded with a full barrow load of mushroom compost which he has access to!

It was made up with manure and wood slivers, no straw, so they have even managed to destroy that which was a good product!

Cannot understand how they all seem to be using wood shavings etc, as anytime I purchase wood it brings tears to my eyes when I am told the cost of a few planks!

And then they have the cost of processing it into slivers as well!

Makes you think about the economics of composts!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 22:34 »
One of our members is a wood machinist. They produce wooden door and window frames. The wood shavings are a waste product and have to pay to dispose of it.
He brings home 100ltr plastic bags of it.

xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
question
Looking for a supplier of multi purpose compost

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 10:50
by Lesleyk
xx
How good is your multi-purpose compost?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 11:29
by savbo

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 28 queries.