Improving Verve Multi-Purpose Compost

• 19 Replies

jrko

Improving Verve Multi-Purpose Compost
« on: February 16, 2015, 18:01 »
I've never had any issues with Verve MPC but I wondered if it might be possible to 'improve' it.  It's so cheap if you buy the 125l I thought it might be possible to come up with an improved 'recipe'.

Any thoughts on what could be added?
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
Re: Improving Verve Multi-Purpose Compost
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 18:56 »
I have never used verve mpc but I am using Wickes mpc and wicking tubs/planters/buckets, you name it. For my onion beds I used the compost straight out of the bag until about 4 inches from the top, then a 2 inch layer of Wickes manure, topped off with 2 inches mpc, the idea being that the roots will find the manure and I wont have to feed them so much but I plan to give some comfrey feed later on to help them bulb up, cheers Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 19:11 »
I too use verve. I usually add sharp sand and powdered Miracle Gro or Phostrogen to add some 'life'into it. I use this for my toms in pots and also onions in the garden.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 19:21 »
I add Coco Peat/ Compost or Coconut Coir which is a natural fibre extracted from the husk of coconut

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 20:00 »
I add 1/3 rotted manure and a handful or so of slow-release fertiliser. I am a lot less impressed with Verve, though it's still cheapish (they put the prices up this year). My new bag is quite twiggy and I've pulled out a small handful of gravel from it so far.

jrko

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 20:16 »
So far:

Sharp sand - to break up clay & aid texture (?)
Miracle grow et al: slow release feed
Alt composts: nutrient improvement
Coco coir: not sure - fibre bulk physical soil improvement
Manure: soil motive end & slow release nutrient

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 16:56 »
last year I mixed in BFB to verve, but this year I paid more for a better quality one- the texture seemed just wrong.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 17:23 »
It has far too many lumps of wood in it to be multi-purpose.  If you want to use it for seed sowing you have to sieve it and what is left makes it very expensive.  Buy a better quality to start with it's cheaper in the long run.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 19:20 »
I'll agree with Tom. I moved up to a quality compost last year and had much improved results.

oldgrunge

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 21:55 »
I'll agree with Tom. I moved up to a quality compost last year and had much improved results.

May I ask, what compost you moved up to?
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

luke34

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 22:20 »
i use levingtons f2+s compost and Clover Multipurpose and as mush leaf mold as possible

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 08:32 »
I've stopped buying Multi Purpose Compost in the Big Box Sheds too - too variable, and sometimes lots of wood etc. in it. I assumed using a commercial compost I would not need to add anything, but I find it compacts the same as the Sheds' compost did, although it is very consistent straight out of the bag.

So I've reverted to adding 10% by volume of fine Perlite. This keeps the compost very open, and I think makes root growth / establishment faster.  Can be a snag on potting-on or planting-out as the rootball is more inclined to fall to bits - which is perhaps a good sign that the openness and sharp drainage remains over a prolonged period.

I feed from day one, not relying on fertiliser in the compost.  I use a very dilute liquid feed CANNA Terra Vega (basically because that's what the folk Growing Cannabis plants use, and I figure they have a high value crop and have researched best growth well!). Once the seedlings become "plants" in 9cm pots I use a conventional liquid feed such as Chempak (which I find cheapest, its  a powder which you have to mix up / dissolve, so I'm not paying for the carriage of Water as with liquid fertilisers)

http://www.canna-uk.com/terra_vega

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 09:00 »
I paid 59p per bag extra for the Wickes mpc but it says on the bag it is free from any communal waste etc and so far it is looking good, just need to find someone with a cement mixer for when I add my own home made loam etc, Dave

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 11:54 »
Don't know what this year's Verve MP offering will be like, or how consistent it has ever been from batch to batch, but I've used it for the last few years and it's been of very good texture, even suitable for seed sowing if you pluck out the odd lumpy bits.

I have my suspicions about the nutrient content though, especially as it's probably the most expensive single ingredient - must repeat my confession of last year though - if you do add something like Growmore to it, don't overdo it, and make sure you mix it in thoroughly (I sprinkled it in a single layer towards the bottom of my greenhouse planters and set back my tomatoes by a couple of months.  :blush:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18 »
Never used the Verve MPC, always used others like wickes as I have found it ok to grow in and bought a more expensive one for the seeds.
However I was told the Verve Seed and Cutting compost is very good so I bought a bag to try, the texture and feel seems pretty good, just waiting on me toms n chillies to pop up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
Cheap multi purpose compost

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 16:49
by BostonInbred
xx
best multi purpose compost 2018

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 16:19
by Tracybutton

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 29 queries.