Moving fruit bushes

• 1 Replies

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Moving fruit bushes
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:21 »
I have been given several bushes by a fellow plot holder, the raspberries are pruned right back by him just above ground will I have a crop from them this year?
Also given black currents which he hasn't pruned my query is should I prune these?
All were moved yesterday and I gave them a generous top dressing mulch of well rotted manure

Trikidiki

Re: Moving fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:20 »

If the raspberries are a summer fruiting variety, they will produce canes this year that will fruit next summer. If they are Autumn fruiting (which are generally the more popular) the canes they produce this year may produce flowers and small fruit but probably don't have the root system to support much of a crop if any. My advice would be to let the canes grow and snip off any flowers this year so the plants can concentrate on developing a good root system this year. Then potentially get a better crop next Autumn. They will take a few years to develop into full cropping plants.

If the blackcurrants are young bushes I would allow them a couple of years to develop a decent fruiting framework. I wouldn't do any pruning this year and see what shape develops. When pruned they will reshoot from ground level which should be done on a cycle to maintain a supply of new shoots which will fruit well i their second year onward, and removing older, less productive stems.
If they are established bushes they may produce some fruit depending on how much of their root system has been maintained. They could probably do with removal of about a third of any stems at ground level to encourage new growth.
Either way my advice would be to strip the flowers for this year at least.

xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2019, 15:42
by Goosegirl
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2021, 19:24
by Wilf
xx
moving Fruit bushes

Started by Rugratzz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 21:25
by sunshineband
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 22:16
by aubergine

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 35 queries.