Stable Manure

• 3 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Stable Manure
« on: January 07, 2012, 19:48 »
**D'oh, just realised I clicked into the wrong forum .. I shall await it being moved :-\ **

Hi all,

I've recently taken on an allotment and have finished weeding and am now ready to turn it over in time for spring growing.  We have a couple of horses too and I figured it would make sense to make use of the vast amount of poo we pick from the field and muck out of the stables etc.

My question is how 'well rotted' should the manure be before I top the allotment with it?  I probably have a pile that's 3 months old at the bottom which won't go too far.  Also is straw a no-no?

I'm afraid this is just the beginning .. no doubt I'll be asking all sorts of things as the allotment takes shape :-)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 19:49 by chasechicken »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Stable Manure
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 20:21 »
Well rotted at this time of year usually means at least 6 months, if not 12 months.  I don't think much decomposition will take place in the next couple of months either.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 20:34 »
OK thanks - in that case I'll probably save it for next year ...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 20:50 »
We have a similar situation. I leave it on the muck-heap for at least a year normally but have started a new routine. Once crops are in, I use new stuff as a sort of mulch - not on leaf-crops I hasten to add - and allow worms and decomposition to do its work in situ.

You don't state what bedding material you use. We use coarse sawdust and find the rotted mix of droppings and bedding is a great soil conditioner on our heavy soil. It sort of opens it up and makes it far easier to work. If you're using straw bedding it'll rot down quicker than the sawdust but conversely not open up clayey soil to the same extent

xx
stable manure

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 11:29
by compostqueen
xx
Horse stable manure...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 21:27
by Growster...
xx
Liquid stable manure.

Started by tedlester on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2016, 16:53
by finleyfreyaseth
xx
Fresh stable manure-how to apply????

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 18:44
by PAULW

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 29 queries.