Growing Veg In A Small Space HELP - Any Good Books out there or advice?

• 20 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
See if you can find a second hand copy of Peter Seabrook's Complete Vegetable Gardner - it focuses on the management of a 4m x 3m garden plot.

I found it inspirational 30 years ago

I also use Johns books, and find them great, but I cant have too many books!
Brilliant suggestion thankyou, I have managed to find this (second hand)  for the grand total of £2.66 from Abe books   :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

I agree that some large, spreading veg like brassicas might have to stay off the list. You need to measure yield against space. Dan (on the blog) does some early potatoes but not maincrop mainly because potatoes take too much space. Check his archives for past articles. And he'll answer email questions too.

Elcie

They look briliant already, well done.  I have used the square foot garden approach in my front garden because it is quite different and looks good too.  If you do a search on this site there are lots of pictures of my front garden on here so that you can get an idea.  I used bamboo canes to space out the square feet which was really easy as I just tied them together with raffetta where they crossed.

Good luck with it

digalotty

instead of cabbage why not try some swish chard as you will get more than one crop , cut and come again :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Thank you all very much for your advice/information.  I like the idea of Swiss Chard as it looks quite pretty too.
Teen

eli

i second what salmo suggested, Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom :-)
its clear, creative and no-frills approach has been of infinite help to me as a relative beginner to growing :-)

xx
Growing in gro-bags, is this space saving idea any good?....

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 13:37
by woodburner
xx
small space grow your own

Started by samz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 22:01
by sundancer
xx
Small amount of empty raised bed space ...

Started by Carmen7878 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 11:34
by agapanthus
xx
I've got a good bit of space

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 22:39
by sloegin

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 28 queries.