sowing onion seed?

• 6 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
sowing onion seed?
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:07 »
hi folks.going to have a go at growing my red onions from seed this year,but i'm a little unsure how to go about it.do you sow 1 seed per module or do you "broadcast " them like leeks and separate them later?.ive got a cold greenhouse to keep them in .is early january about right to start them off? hoping to get red onions that dont go to seed this year!thanks for any advice. :)

fatcat1955

Re: sowing onion seed?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:10 »
I allways start mine off in pots and transplant in april when the soil has warmed up.2 seeds to a pot and thin to the strongest 1.

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 20:51 »
I start mine off in trays (make sure the compost is right up to the top), and I keep them in the conservatory until the frosts have gone, and then plant them out.  Got lovely mammoths this year :D
Babs

Spana

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 22:05 »
I think its Alan Titchmarsh who sows 4-5 seeds to a pot and transplants them without thinning.  You get 4-5 medium size onions in a clump.  So if you want medium onions try doing that but if you want biggies go for singles.
I going to try a few of each this year but I've never grown onions from seed either.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 23:46 »
The 4 to a module planted out works well for kitchen size onions. Best to put 5/6 seeds in each module to guarantee that you get 4 plants. It does not matter wether you bother to thin them or not.

If you space the modules at 1 ft apart along the row it will give you the same population as spacing them at 3 inches. I have tried one row done each way to compare and number and weight yield are the same. The module ones are less even in size, but that is not a bad thing in the kitchen.

Two advantages with modules of 4. They are quick to plant out and at 1 ft apart they are easier to hoe round.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:49 »
thanks for the advice.and is january about the right time to sow? :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51 »
I know of a few people on our lottie, including myself, who all sow theirs between Christmas and New Year.  It gives you that kick start for the following year kind of feeling.  You feel as if Spring is on its way :D - then winter tells you different by dropping a couple of feet of snow :wacko:

xx
sowing onion seed

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 16:29
by Michael D
xx
Sowing Red Onion Seed.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 10:09
by Beetroot queen
xx
sowing onion seeds

Started by lanky lurcher on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 10:45
by muntjac
xx
sowing autumn onion sets

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 15:15
by Gellideg

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 28 queries.