does eveyone have to take a sick chick to the vet?

• 33 Replies

compostqueen

Re: does eveyone have to take a sick chick to the vet?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 14:27 »
That's why you're off to the vet  :)

Have you got a box for them?  Or cat travelling box. It makes life easier.  Your grand children may be able to help you if they're old enough. I always find it easier to take someone with me when I go to the vets

Good luck with it all and we will be thinking about you and your poorly hen. Do let us know what the vet says

hillfooter

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 14:49 »
Can you tell me why Frontline is put on hens, for what pest?

External parasites which live ON the bird so Northern Fowl mite (not red mite), deplumming feather mites, lice, fleas, scaley leg mite are the main parasites it's used for.  Red Mite should be treated with pesticides where they breed in their colonies in housing not on the bird as some vets seem to think.

HF
Truth through science.

jinty1911

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 14:52 »
That's why you're off to the vet  :)

Have you got a box for them?  Or cat travelling box. It makes life easier.  Your grand children may be able to help you if they're old enough. I always find it easier to take someone with me when I go to the vets

Good luck with it all and we will be thinking about you and your poorly hen. Do let us know what the vet says

Thanks.  Hubby on way back from work to give me a hand.  She just going in box shortly.  :(

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 15:59 »
I now always buy Frontline online (usually Amazon) after paying £35.00 for a 6 pipette pack (Small dog) from my vets. The Frontline 6 pack I bought online this week cost me £17.95 and that included postage. If you get the 3 pack it's still half the price of the vets. I've also seen the puppy/kitten spray on there for for as little as £6.00 as I was eying that up for my cockerels.

Just beware on advertised pricing.  Hyperdrug advertise the lowest price on Amazon but this is ex VAT and it's not until you've gone through the painful registering as a new user forms that you get to see that VAT wasn't included and what they are going to charge you for p&p.  The Amazon advertised £14.04 is actually £14.99 and the final bill is
SUB TOTAL:     £14.99
VAT:                   £3.42
CARRIAGE:          £2.12     FIRST CLASS POST
ORDER TOTAL:   £20.53

In fact all the sellers although advertising different prices seem to end up within a few 10's of pence when p&p gets added.  It really annoys me when sellers adopt the back end price loading trick so they think that once they've put you through the form filling multiple ordering windows pain you aren't going to pull out when you actually see the end price. I think there should be some sort of consumer protection against such sharp practise.

I was actually getting some for my cat I'd prefer ivermectin for the birds which is cheaper anyway.

HF
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 18:54 by hillfooter »

hillfooter

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 17:10 »
I've just ordered Xeno 200 (ivermectin) for my birds which cost around £21.74 VetUK for 50ml and I reckon 1ml per layer is enough for a single application and two are usually required so might try some birds on Frontline and some on Ivermectin and see which is most cost effective.

NB Ivomectin acts within the body so will also kill some internal parsites like roundworms (but not flatworms which feed on the digesting food) whereas Frontline is purely external and is ineffective against worms.
HF
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 17:18 by hillfooter »

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 17:35 »
isnt it Collies tha thave a nasty reaction to Ivermectin , totaly off topic  but im gonna plough on lol i watched a programme where it was the only thing tho not licenced that saved a guy who got River blindness in Africa   :D 

jinty1911

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 18:35 »
Been to vet and Granddaughters are just away. Phew, they are hard work (and I thought chickens ate none stop!!!

Anyway, was impressed with the vet.  She has her own flock so knew what she was talking about.  Now to the bad news  :(  :(  She found what she hoped was a small feather cyst but could be a tumour on Grace's back.  :(  :(  :(  Then she said she was going to treat her and the other 2 for Mycroplasma.  Even though Grace wasn't displaying the usual bubbly eyes and running nose, the vet said she couldn't guarantee she would survive.  :(  :(  :(  :(.  So will have to bring them all in every night and try to get the Baytril down their throats with a pipette.  I wont tell you how much it cost because I nearly fell over but as long as the baby of the trio gets better, I dont care. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 19:16 »
do you have to take her back for a check over on her cyst?
Glad you have a vet who understands about chickens - are they on our list of vets? If not do you want to forward their details to me so I can add them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 20:02 »
Vet didnt say to go back.  I have a 10 day course of Baytril.  I think, that she thinks, that if mycoplasma doesn't get Gracie, then the cyst/tumour will  :(.  But am optomistic by nature and am keeping everything crossed.  Hubby said he didn't care if it cost £50 or £500, he would pay anything to keep the chicks healthy and me happy .....Awwww Bless. 
Yes the Vet is on vet site.  Never looked before because I had already spoken to my usual vet.  :mad:

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 22:41 »
to give the bird the drops it's best done when they've turned in for the night and then they are more amenable to being handled and don't struggle. It's best with two people but I managed on my own. Get all the tackle to hand and the dose measured out into the pipette.  I took my birds out one at a time, tucked her under my arm gently and carefully opened her beak with the end of the pipette. Mine seemed to like the medicine. Phew  :D  One craned her neck though making life difficult but I managed it. You get better with practice  :D

Glad to hear it all went well at the vets and I hope she responds well to treatment  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 23:51 »
Been to vet and Granddaughters are just away. Phew, they are hard work (and I thought chickens ate none stop!!!

Anyway, was impressed with the vet.  She has her own flock so knew what she was talking about.  Now to the bad news  :(  :(  She found what she hoped was a small feather cyst but could be a tumour on Grace's back.  :(  :(  :(  Then she said she was going to treat her and the other 2 for Mycroplasma.  Even though Grace wasn't displaying the usual bubbly eyes and running nose, the vet said she couldn't guarantee she would survive.  :(  :(  :(  :(.  So will have to bring them all in every night and try to get the Baytril down their throats with a pipette.  I wont tell you how much it cost because I nearly fell over but as long as the baby of the trio gets better, I dont care.  

Your vet could have given you Baytril 10% to add to their drinking water.  This will be a lot easier to do as all you need to do is medicate their water once a day and provided they are still drinking well they will dose themselves.  Usually you add 1ml Baytril 10% to 1 litre of water.  With 3 chx they will drink around 600ml a day so you will have a lot left each day if you make up 1 litre but it's best to mix it fresh each day.

If you have been given Baytril 2.5% that is usually given by gavage (force fed via a syringe).  The vet should have told you the daily dosage which is usually given by dividing into two dosages, morning and evening, diluted 4 parts water to 1 of Batyril 2.5%.  With a small number of chx to treat this is the most accurate way provided you master the knack of syringing down their throats without them shaking it out and wasting it.  The trick is to hold the head pointing upwards and gently squirt it into the throat from the corner of the beak (not the point of the beak) while holding the head so they don't shake it out.  Diluting the Baytril helps so you don't just give a minute amount and any spillage isn't so significant.  When you say pipette do you mean a syringe or a pipette which has a rubber bulb on the end?

So what strength of Baytril were you prescribed and how were you advised to adminiser it?

Hope they respond, it's good that you have at least found a chicken savvy vet.
HF
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:14 by hillfooter »

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:03 »
He asked why I would want cat/kitten Frontline to treat a chicken? Then said it was prescription only so I would have to take her in.  I have bought Frontline 3 times a year for 6 years for my wee pom from him and never had to take the dog in.  >:(  >:( 

Frontline is not registered for chickens that's why the vet will need to see the bird before he makes a professional decision as to whether to prescribe it. That's the law. You, however can do what you like.

jinty1911

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35 »

Anyway, was impressed with the vet.  She has her own flock so knew what she was talking about.  Now to the bad news  :(  :(  She found what she hoped was a small feather cyst but could be a tumour on Grace's back.  :(  :(  :(  Then she said she was going to treat her and the other 2 for Mycroplasma.  Even though Grace wasn't displaying the usual bubbly eyes and running nose, the vet said she couldn't guarantee she would survive.  :(  :(  :(  :(.  So will have to bring them all in every night and try to get the Baytril down their throats with a pipette.  I wont tell you how much it cost because I nearly fell over but as long as the baby of the trio gets better, I dont care.  

Your vet could have given you Baytril 10% to add to their drinking water.  This will be a lot easier to do as all you need to do is medicate their water once a day and provided they are still drinking well they will dose themselves.  Usually you add 1ml Baytril 10% to 1 litre of water.  With 3 chx they will drink around 600ml a day so you will have a lot left each day if you make up 1 litre but it's best to mix it fresh each day.

If you have been given Baytril 2.5% that is usually given by gavage (force fed via a syringe).  The vet should have told you the daily dosage which is usually given by dividing into two dosages, morning and evening, diluted 4 parts water to 1 of Batyril 2.5%.  With a small number of chx to treat this is the most accurate way provided you master the knack of syringing down their throats without them shaking it out and wasting it.  The trick is to hold the head pointing upwards and gently squirt it into the throat from the corner of the beak (not the point of the beak) while holding the head so they don't shake it out.  Diluting the Baytril helps so you don't just give a minute amount and any spillage isn't so significant.  When you say pipette do you mean a syringe or a pipette which has a rubber bulb on the end?

So what strength of Baytril were you prescribed and how were you advised to adminiser it?

HF

It's Baytril 2.5% Oral.  0.5ml for Grace and 1ml for the other 2, daily by mouth via syringe for 10 days. We managed it last night without too much protest.  Vet said as there were only 3 birds and Gracie seem to be well handled she preferred to prescribe it orally to make sure they got the full amount.

hillfooter

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 12:00 »

HF

It's Baytril 2.5% Oral.  0.5ml for Grace and 1ml for the other 2, daily by mouth via syringe for 10 days. We managed it last night without too much protest.  Vet said as there were only 3 birds and Gracie seem to be well handled she preferred to prescribe it orally to make sure they got the full amount.

Yes that sounds good.  There was a thread on here recently in which it was reported the vet prescribed 2ml of 2.5% oral per day which I thought was significantly more than was recommended by Bayer.  0.5 & 1mg are tiny amounts to administer so any spillage will lose a significant amount.  To get round this and make the quanties more handlable you can dilute 4 to 1 which might help.
HF

jinty1911

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 12:07 »
Oh and have to withdraw eggs for 4 weeks  :(  :( just when I've started getting 2 eggs a day for the first egg.  What a waste.

xx
Sick chick

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 19:12
by Manlea1
xx
sick chick

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 18:04
by staffschicks
xx
Sick Chick

Started by bettyboo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:08
by bettyboo
xx
Sick Chick!

Started by Le Coq on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 08:09
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 30 queries.