Ducklings- help please

• 4 Replies

dkelly

Ducklings- help please
« on: June 21, 2007, 20:31 »
I had two ducklings hatch 3 weeks ago and unfortunatly one has been taken by i think a magpie, my husband heard a comotion and when he went out one duckling was gone and the mothers feathers were all over the floor. That was 2 & half weeks ago so the other duckling i have been keeping in doors as much as possible to avoid the same happening.  i am new to having ducks so am devastated that i dint know this could happen and feel i should have been able to do soething. i wonder if anyone can advise me on the best thing i can do as i know it is important for the duckling to still mix with the other ducks but i dont want him hurt as just this morning he was attacked and had blood on his head when i went out into the garden, a magpie was nearby when i went out.  can anyone suggest how i should handle this? do you think it is a magie doing the damage or something else? my garden is not massive and i have neighbours g :cry: ardens backing onto mine. i live in manchester.
DEANA

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Ducklings- help please
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 20:39 »
hi.  sorry to hear about duckling.  buy/lend an air rifle and shoot every magpie you see (safely).  they will soon get the message, if any are left!  good luck

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Ducklings- help please
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 20:51 »
Sounds very much like a maggie.

Magpie's are a scourge on poultry keepers, Like Monty says shoot them all, not long ago their was a post on here where they were going into a hen coup and stealing eggs  :evil:

Sad fact of life is a duckling or any other young bird, is fair game to them and crows

Welcome to the forum by the way.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Parrot

Ducklings- help please
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 21:13 »
Sorry for your loss.    There is no way to avoid predation from corvids and gulls other than to keep the mother and brood in a covered run until the ducklings are of a size that would prove too much to carry.   Unfortunately free range ducklings would appear to suffer pretty heavy losses.  :(
Spring into Action with BTCV - 1 May - 7 June 2007. www.btcv.org/springintoaction
Help look after your local wildlife and green space - hundreds of fun and friendly eco-events across the UK.

dkelly

thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 22:15 »
thanks for all of your replies, well im going to continue keeping little jack the duckling in doors as much as possible as am not letting those horrible magpies have him! great idea to shoot them by the way! Hopefully he will grow big and stronger over the next few weeks then i can put him back out. Do you think the other ducks will hurt him if i keep them seperate from them for too long and then try to put him in their pen? :wink:

xx
ducklings need to go outside!

Started by ssatt44 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 17:24
by muntjac
xx
ducklings

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 21:48
by Spana
xx
Ducklings

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2007, 09:02
by technobob
xx
Ducklings HELP !

Started by TonyB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 05:19
by TonyB

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 29 queries.