Ducklings HELP !

• 6 Replies

TonyB

Ducklings HELP !
« on: July 01, 2007, 08:38 »
We have pond with 6 ducks in garden. In lounge we have 5 x 3 week old ducklings, now living in dog cage, with shavings basket for bed, water, chick-crumbs.  What a mess and smell !  All ducklings are very healthy, lively, and we let them run around for a hour or so in or outside.  When can we realistically put them outside into the pond ?  Mess and smell is already too much for house. Thanks, Tony

mercury

Ducklings HELP !
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:26 »
When they get their full feather tony, at about 6-7 week old :)

TonyB

Ducklings HELP !
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 13:04 »
OK, understood(ish). These things look fully feathered, at least they are good size, very active, and have not had heat lamp for a few days, snuggling up together only at night time. Just spent today morning building them a new home, and will rig up a low fence, to at least keep them outside daytime, and if cools off, brig them in. Compromise  :?

mercury

Ducklings HELP !
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 13:36 »
Hi tony, at three week old they'll still have their down, i meant when they get their proper full feathers :)  :)

Slight missunderstanding tony, they can go out now, but keep them out of the pond until they're fully feathered, as they'll get saturated, and wont be able to dry out :)

TonyB

Ducklings HELP !
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 16:12 »
Gotcha, perfect. They're now in a small pen area and at night we'll put them away safe in new home just built them. upside-down kiddies sand-pit lid (FreeCycle) is proving a great place for them to splash & swim around. Cheers.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Ducklings HELP !
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 21:24 »
What breed are they Tony?  I have 6 Aylesburys and they are huge, my one regret was not having their home ready properly for them when I got them.  I didn't realise just how much mess ducklings can make.  If you have not yet done so please get their outdoor space ready now and if you are a gardener fence off any area they are not to ruin.  

I have lost endless plants and veggies to their voracious appetites, they seem to eat just about anything so if you want to have borders, tubs and a greenhouse that doesnt get ruined get them enclosed now.

I love my Ducks and wouldn't part with them, they are funny cheeky and noisy, but they have to have a space of their own.

Enjoy and good luck
Sandra
xxx

TonyB

Ducklings HELP !
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 05:19 »
Call ducks, or domestic mallards (?) .... marvellous entertainment, so sweet. They've just had their 3rd day otside in own'new' home plus chicken-wired area, and they seem fine. Made pool for them too, so splashing around enjoying themselves. Other older ducks have come up the garden, and sit watching them, but no attempt thankfully to hop-in and be nasty, so hoping they all mix well once we let them free in the garden. Tony

xx
New Ducklings

Started by Tensing on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 15:39
by agapanthus
xx
ducklings

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 13:24
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
ducklings need to go outside!

Started by ssatt44 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 17:24
by muntjac
xx
ducklings

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 21:48
by Spana

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 36 queries.