Oak leaves

• 6 Replies

trinamc

• Experienced Member
Oak leaves
« on: November 25, 2010, 14:01 »
Hi can anybody tell me if oak leaves are toxic to chickens -  I have a load of oak wood chips to put into the run  ( it also has leaves in it)but I have been told that the leaves are toxic to chickens, I have never heard this before but thought I had better check. :(

orchardlady

Re: Oak leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 14:34 »
I'm afraid I know nothing about he subject but a quick google came up with this. Hope it helps.

http://woodridge.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/acornseverywhere.jpg

orchardlady

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 16:13 »
found this - but still not sure if it applies to chickens:-

http://www.ttlntl.co.uk/2/Health/poisonplants.htm
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 16:16 »
oak does appear on this list as toxic to chickens so just to be sure about the leaves I would avoid them:-

http://www.chickenkeepingsecrets.com/chicken-health/plants-that-are-toxic-to-chickens/

farmerGiles

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:41 »
I've been using dried Oak leaves to line the coop for just over a month now and my chickens are fine. Presumably they would try to eat green Oak leaves, but as the leaves are dead, they don't touch them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:45 by farmerGiles »

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 22:43 »
Interesting articles!  Thanks orchardlady.

I have an oak tree on my property (out of reach of where I will be keeping my hens) so I wondered the same thing about oak leaves and acorns.

I have been reading widely on the subject, but I'm afraid I haven't bookmarked any of my sources so can't refer you to the original data.  However, all the credible sources seem to agree:
  • Oak leaves & acorns are very high in tannins
  • Some varieties have more tannins than others
  • One test for tannins is the distinctive bitter taste
  • Cooking and/or soaking removes tannins
  • Once the tannins are removed, acorns are safe for consumption by humans and animals (and have been used as food for centuries)

Based on that information, I have decided to use the oak leaves as part of the deep mulch/compost in my chicken run.  By the time the leaves have begun rotting down, the tannins will be released so I don't think there will be harm done to my chooks due to overdosing.  They will have plenty of other stuff to eat, so hopefully will concentrate on eating the juicy bugs living under the leaves, rather than the leaves themselves.

I will also experiment with acorns as food.

I will start with a small batch of acorns, soak them in boiling water, and taste just a drop of the water for bitterness.  As long as it is bitter, I will keep changing the soaking water.  Once the bitterness has gone, I will crush a few and offer them to my hens.

Depending on the variety of oak tree I have, the time, effort and water consumption may not make acorns a worthwhile feed.  I will be interested in trying it out though!

P.S. It's spring in NZ so I have a long wait for the acorns and the leaves!

P.P.S. I also keep tropical fish as pets.  Many fish-keepers put oak leaves into their tanks and filters to deliberately release tannins into the water.  Many fish (especially those originating in the amazon basin) benefit from acidic, tannin-filled water.  Changing tannin levels often stimuate breeding.

xx
leaves in run

Started by bigaky on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:03
by swedishchicken
xx
Leaves

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 22:05
by chickenlady
xx
Sprout Leaves

Started by tuffty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 22:18
by matthew2riches
xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by Spana on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 07:26
by joyfull

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 30 queries.