potato skin mash.

• 5 Replies

NUMBER27

potato skin mash.
« on: November 27, 2011, 15:32 »
Hi Does anyone out there make a mash for their girls with potato skins, if so could you let me know how you do it? Do the skins need to be cooked and can stuff be added to it ie porridge oats? thank you.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: potato skin mash.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 15:34 »
I dont make a mash but I do boil the potato skins off and give the hens these. 

They love them!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 15:53 »
My mum always used to boil the peelings up for the hens, and mash it with all the scrap veg stirred in, sometimes Porridge as well.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 17:24 »
i feed my girls on spud peelings you will need to boil them first them mash it up and i mix layers mash then you know they are getting all the vitamins they need  :D
Chicken crazy

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:17 »
Two cautions with potato skins:
1) they should always be cooked
2) never feed any that have even a tinge of green.

Potatoes are part of the nightshade family of plants and contain toxins that can build up in the right conditions. 

Personally I don't feed potato skins.  I put the skins in my worm bin, then a few weeks later the chickens eat the worms!  Basically the worms turn the potatoes into good quality animal protein, which is more valuable to the chickens than the plain skins were.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02 »
In deference to Defra, I prepare all my veg outside so any scraps do not come from the kitchen (yeah right...)

My girls have their pellets all day and also have any fruit and veg peelings plus the odd scrap of bread crust plus any other (non-meat) leftovers in the afternoon.  I put all the peelings into a plastic box and feed it as is, unless there are spud peelings in the box in which case I have discovered that I can microwave the lot in a few minutes.

I just let it cool, but don't chop it up or mash it - they have great fun grabbing a strip of carrot peel & racing off, pursued by the others (even though there are plenty of other carrot strips - duh....).

Because my girls are in a big run & not fully free-ranging, I use these scraps & any weeds pulled up in the garden to bring free-ranging to them.  They can't tell the difference in value of treats - they can't tell if it's catering by-products or purchased grain that they are getting as a treat - although they do get grain too.  As far as the chickens are concerned, if it's not a pellet from the feeder, it's a treat.
ManicMum

xx
Red skin

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 07:45
by Mum2mj
xx
Do they get dry skin?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 09:03
by joyfull
xx
Skin Problems

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 22:14
by happychickens
xx
Flakey Skin?

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 17:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 29 queries.