Hen or cat

• 4 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Hen or cat
« on: November 26, 2011, 14:43 »
Well cannot really make up my mind and don't think my blue leg bar can either really. For some reason she's stopped laying for several weeks which I can understand considering the time of year, but I am confused as to why she's began sitting down using her tail for balance in the same way as my cat. She's hiding away in the hen house and will only emerge for her food then she goes back again. Wattles are not a very good color either. Anybody have any idea why she would be sitting in such a peculiar way. She don't seem to be in pain at all. She can walk around ok when she feels like it but most of the time she's happy just to sit and balance on her tail. She's one weird hen. By the way she's about 3 years old now. Any ideas?

viettaclark

Re: Hen or cat
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 23:48 »
Broody?

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 00:06 »
Thanks viettaclark for your reply. This particular hen has been broody many a time when she stops laying and won't leave the nest box, after leaving her in the sin bin for three or four days it normally brings her out of it and she's back to normal, but this time despite the sin bin and normal procedure for a broody hen, she's definately acting strange. Never known it to happen with any of my broody hens before and certainly never had it with her. She's always been a good hen although frequently broody but never no trouble to bring her back into lay. Could she be egg bound I wonder?

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 17:33 »
could be egg bound or worms ?  :(
Chicken crazy

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 17:31 »
Thanks Tony but don't think she's got worms as she's done on a regular basis. Egg bound possibly but as I've never had a hen with this I wouldn't know. She's not sitting in the nest box all the time, she sometimes sits on a perch. By the way she's a cream legbar not a blue legbar like I previousy put. Thinking of blue eggs at the time lol. Any more suggestions anyone would be good.

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 35 queries.