Boiled veggie peelings

• 17 Replies

Wildeone

Boiled veggie peelings
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:49 »
Now bare with me coz i might be way off - can you give bolied veggie peeling to hens?

I vaugly remember my nana doing it on the farm but can't remember the details and she's not answering her phone!  :lol:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

muntjac

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:57 »
absolutly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,( made some for our birds yesterday)  when your doing a sunday type dinner with all the veggies .have a pan on ready with boiling water just drop the peelings ( no onion peelings ) and then bring to a boil and simmer while your doing the rest of the dinner stuff then allow to cool with the water in still just hit it with a rough blender chop and then let it go cold , feed on a old piece of kitchen unit type board, easy cleaned  :wink: if your having a lot of veggies etc just cook it then freeze a lump in a an old butter tub .lasts about a month in freezer :wink:  :)
"werks for us ".
oh and if you like you can drop a handful of wheat or barley in the pan when your cooking it  :D
still alive /............

Wildeone

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:01 »
Thanks Munty

Can that inc. potato peelings?

Want to give them a little treat in this horrid weather! They wont come out the coop!

muntjac

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:03 »
yupsssss , :wink: any veggies cept onion peelings ,,,,,, oh and most chucks dont like raw celery but cooked is fine  :)

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:15 »
Hi.. as kids, My Dad every Sunday boiled up the vedge waste for the chucks, me brother and I used to have the job of feeding 'em, small bowl full so many days a week.
Dad kept chickens for donkeys years when were kids to suppliment the family income, that is until I chopped me dad's Co-- off , long/old family story :lol:  :lol:
Bye PAH :wink:  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:18 »
My Dad always use to put some porridge oats in with the veg peelings for the last 5 minutes, they cooked in what was left of the water and made it nice a 'porridgey' !!!!!   :D

Wildeone

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:21 »
They yummed them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just did a few carrot swede and aspagus ends from last night dinner!!

The small took me back about 20 years! and i feel a little better about keeping them in their run today now!!! They'd curn the grass to mud in seconds today!

Bodger

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 10:47 »
You need to boil the peelings until they blend into a much that you can mix poultry mash and the like into.

agapanthus

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 10:59 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
absolutly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,( made some for our birds yesterday)  when your doing a sunday type dinner with all the veggies .have a pan on ready with boiling water just drop the peelings ( no onion peelings ) and then bring to a boil and simmer while your doing the rest of the dinner stuff then allow to cool with the water in still just hit it with a rough blender chop and then let it go cold , feed on a old piece of kitchen unit type board, easy cleaned  :wink: if your having a lot of veggies etc just cook it then freeze a lump in a an old butter tub .lasts about a month in freezer :wink:  :)
"werks for us ".
oh and if you like you can drop a handful of wheat or barley in the pan when your cooking it  :D

.....just remember to be VERY gentle when removing the bowl from the precessor, so it does'nt get BROKEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

noshed

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 11:46 »
So has someone broken yer bowl Aggy?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Wildeone

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 11:54 »
Someone's in the dog house!!! :lol:

muntjac

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 15:35 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
"werks for us ".

.....just remember to be VERY gentle when removing the bowl from the precessor, so it does'nt get BROKEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

only cos it was busted afore and i just glued it back together and it didnt last long enough  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 17:56 »
But don't forget - Don't add any salt  :!:

hazelize_uk

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 23:50 »
are small scraps of meat ok? - My dad seems to think that the small scraps of lamb or beef are fine as they are no different to say worms or snails etc??

agapanthus

Boiled veggie peelings
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 00:02 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
"werks for us ".

only cos it was busted afore and i just glued it back together and it didnt last long enough  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

...true....very true, but who broke it in the first place????????????????? :twisted:  :twisted:

xx
boiled egg

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 22, 2013, 08:38
by joyfull
xx
Veg peelings

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 23:24
by SnooziSuzi
question
boiled eggs

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 11:20
by bubs
xx
boiled eggs!!!!

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 23:40
by kimT

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 35 queries.