what chillis to grow?

• 20 Replies

Lardman

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53 »
I've been rather impressed with the rocoto's this year - most of others were a right off. Nice big peppers, fleshy and rather juicy. Need a long season though  :?

You can always buy the common peppers from the supermarket - Id save the growing space for something special that you can't find locally.

Something from the follow would be nice...Cherry bomb, Thai hot ,Rocoto, Hot lemon, Naga . I'll be dropping some naga and hab seeds in compost this week.

I mix and match pepper when cooking - some peppers give you instant burn others a slower longer burn, I like food spicy not inedible.  :D

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
what chillis to grow?
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 13:16 »
Hi Snap  Dragon,

I think in answer to your original question, if it is sweet chilli flavour your after, then it's the way is treated afterwards.

I grew cayenne this year, plants grew well and fruited well, had to bring them into the kitchen to ripen to red and strung them up mexican 'rista' (?) style. Looked great, had great plans to make sweet chilli sauce (garlic, ginger, vinegar and lots of sugar, and chilli's) but there was no heat in my chilli's - not even vaguely warm. So they are sitting beautifully dried waiting to become a Christmas wreath for my front door.

I've decided that next year, to ensure some heat, i will try several different varieties. Cayenne arn't that hot anyway, so i'm going to try much hotter to medium and in a selection of coulours. Havn't decided on the varieties yet.

From what i have read, they need to be treated a bit mean. Don't put them in pots that are too big, and don't overwater. Start them early to ensure they have enough time to ripen on the plant.

I thought the real seed company website had a lovely selection of chilli's
Liv.

breathecosse

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 20:04 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
they are 9 out of 10 on the chilli Richter scale  :lol:   The heat does vary across the chilli. Two in my curry was just right, but that was fresh. I think dried they get hotter  :D

I rate them 6 out of 10.
3 of them 2 bishops hats and a jamaica red hot habenero into a 1litre of carrot soup make a nice blend.

mr tibbs

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 21:28 »
lo all
i grew ring of fire and the friars hat this year.the ring of fire was a nice looking plant ,quite large and leafy ,plenty plenty meat on it.friars hat tall straggly looking, late ripening but worth it. very very hot

peapod

• Pea Goddess
what chillis to grow?
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "mr tibbs"
lo all i grew ring of fire

Sorry! But Id have to change the name before I told mr peapods mum the name of the chilli I was growing!!  :D  :D

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Fat Hen

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 22:27 »
Quote from: "LivvyW"
From what i have read, they need to be treated a bit mean. Don't put them in pots that are too big, and don't overwater. Start them early to ensure they have enough time to ripen on the plant.

Depends on how many chillis you want from a plant.  Chillis don't like their roots restricted so if you want a good crop you're going to need big pots/or plant in ground if in fairly mild area.  I use Morrisons flower buckets as my standard size pot.  Larger varieties get bigger pots or tubs (Rocoto's have half barrell size tubs).

Dont feed or over water, they hate wet compost.  Feeding will just produce massive green plants (a little chilli focus once they have started setting fruit is ok).

Hot Lemon/Lemon Drop are a beautiful chilli and quite compact and productive, very easy to grow.  They aren't particularly hot but have wondreful flavour that suit fish particularly.  Also make a nice chilli vodka. :lol:

You can make a sweet chilli sauce with any chilli.  The variety of chill will dictate flavour & heat.  Sugar/fruit sugars gives the sweetness.

xx
Chillis - There not hot ???

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:08
by arugula
xx
chillis

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 09:43
by agapanthus
xx
What to do with my chillis

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:29
by Sadgit
xx
Big Chillis

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:40
by backpain

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 33 queries.