what chillis to grow?

• 20 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
what chillis to grow?
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:01 »
Hubby and I want to try growing some peppers this year.....    we have tried lots of sweet chilli recipes but is this a particular variety or just the way it's treated after harvesting?

Any recommendations on types to grow? Are they mainly a greenhouse crop? We have never grow them before so are complete novices!!!!

Any advice welcome  :D
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

compostqueen

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:40 »
do you mean sweet peppers or chillies?

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
what chillis to grow?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 18:54 »
Ooooops...... yes I meant chillis.  :oops:

(I'm blaming the copious amount of vino consumed last night!!!!)  :drunken:

Thanks CQ... I've edited the title now!!!

Kate and her Ducks

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 19:00 »
Be interested to know what people think too as would like to have a go next year, particularly if I get a greenhouse.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

FCG

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 19:01 »
Lemon drop is a good one i hear. Nice citrus tang to them, even through they are a little hard to grow. Try ordering the real seed catalogue, they have some really good ones you can save the seed from. I'll try to find the link for you.

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
what chillis to grow?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 19:57 »
I have always had success outdoors with Apache in pots. Grew them in the bed this year and less successfully than previously. Apparently chillis like root restriction so perhaps the bed isn't such a smart idea. Nevertheless got a reasonable crop - the chillis dry well for winter use.
Also tried Friar's Cap this year - again in the bed - loads of foliage and plenty flowers none of which opened and set fruit.
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

pushrod

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 22:00 »
I bought a 4 pack of peppers and chillis from wilko last spring and i am still picking them out of my greenhouse. The one that i have been most impressed with have been the jalapenos as you can stick them in so many dishes.(have several bags of them in the freezer)  :D
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

breathecosse

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 22:36 »
It all depends how hot you lie your chillies.

Aji Lemon Drops are nice and not too difficult to grow really
compared to some of the Chinense varieties.

Bishops Hats are a milder chilli that fruits well but does grow to a big plant.
Purple prince is a nice dark almost black leaf to start with. Good for the window sill.
If you want Hot look at Trinidad Scorpion, 7Pots and Nagas.

compostqueen

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 22:58 »
The Lemon Drops are hot, but easy to grow and prolific. They look gorgeous on the plate  :D

I had no luck with my Friar's Hats either, no fruits at all so I tried overwintering the plants in the greenhouse and failed abysmally. Seed was expensive too  :(

I've grown Apache and found it easy, as it Nice N Spicy mix.  Cayenne are easy too and I fancy growing more this year so I can make my own cayenne pepper

Definitely doing the Lemon ones again

FCG

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 23:05 »
Hmm from what people are saying here lemon drops are easier to grow than i thought. Seals the deal, i'll be growing them next year.

compostqueen

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 23:07 »
I'm not sure if Hot Lemon and Lemon Drop are one of the same. They are very hot  :shock:  They are prolific and the fruits seem to be varying sizes which is useful in the kitchen  :D  Gorgeous colour too, mind you mine have got a bit manky looking on drying which is a shame.  I really need that drier  :D

breathecosse

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 23:44 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I'm not sure if Hot Lemon and Lemon Drop are one of the same. They are very hot  :shock:  They are prolific and the fruits seem to be varying sizes which is useful in the kitchen  :D  Gorgeous colour too, mind you mine have got a bit manky looking on drying which is a shame.  I really need that drier  :D

They are almost the same. Same chilli different strain.
To me they are a medium heat but a great chilli.

My bishops hats had about 40 pods per plant.

compostqueen

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:42 »
they are 9 out of 10 on the chilli Richter scale  :lol:   The heat does vary across the chilli. Two in my curry was just right, but that was fresh. I think dried they get hotter  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
what chillis to grow?
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:00 »
I grew cayenne this year, got plenty of pods but not enough for OH (dont think there ever could be!!), so Im getting rid of the sweet peppers next year and sticking with chillies and toms only in the GH. I didnt know that chillies like to be quite root restricted, which explains why I didnt get as high a yeild as I expected. I will definately bear that in mind. Im getting Apache next year, and am overwintering four Cayenne (as an experiment) I'll try the hot lemon too

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

compostqueen

what chillis to grow?
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:02 »
I'm giving up on blocky peppers too as they seem a dead loss. So more room for chillies  :D

xx
Chillis - There not hot ???

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:08
by arugula
xx
chillis

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 09:43
by agapanthus
xx
Big Chillis

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:40
by backpain
xx
What to do with my chillis

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:29
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 36 queries.