peat free or added peat compost

• 39 Replies

mobilekat

Re: peat free or added peat compost
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 08:48 »
I still feel every little helps.

I try to avoid using compost with peat in, (but know every pot grown plant has been grown in peat!) I avoid excess chemicals both in the house and the garden and I only buy free range meat and eggs.

To me these all help, it may only be a little, but it helps!

And even if it only means my garden is a little healthier for it, that is a small step in the right direction!
I just avoid my local councils compost, as I know where all my bindweed roots go! and really dont want them back!

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53 »
you may not want them back, but I understand that it is precisely this type of compost that is sold back to people in their bags of peat-free multipurpose compost  :nowink:

stompy

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 09:03 »
Oh well; never mind. 

What?

I am just giving my reasoning behind my choice,

Im not asking you to agree with me!

I know what your saying mobilekat and i am the same in the fact that i don't use chemicals on the plot either (after i used Glyphoate initially  :nowink:)

I am as wildlife friendly as possible, i will be siteing a pond on my plot and a wild flower  bed too to add a bit of diversity.

But if i stop using peat free compost it will make no difference, not even a tiny tiny tiny bit.
So as im growing for personal consumption and want the best possible crops, i will continue to use peat based compost for all my needs because it is superior to none peat based products. (which is what the first question on the thread was about, is peat free compost any good?)  ;)

Zippy

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 22:11 »
is peat free compost any good?

That's a definite thumbs up from me then. It just takes a little more skill and perseverance to work with it, but definitely worth it considering the environmental damage being caused by peat based composts.  :)

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 21:51 »
thanks everyone, that was all very enlightening.

a month later and  i must say after potting on my toms and cukes they are doing so much better in the multi purpose with added peat.  so i know what il be using now

Zippy

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 00:01 »
Since this thread began, I ran a comparitive test for Swedes, Peas, Pumpkin seedlings and Dwarf Beans comparing Peat-based with Peat-free for each vegetable.

For speed and success of germination, time from germination to planting out and bulk of the plant in the pots the peat-free was superior in all cases.

I would have continued to use peat free even if peat based was proven to be the better medium because of environmental reasons, but it is nice to know I have found an environmentally friendly compost which is superior to peat.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25 »
would you tell us the 2 brands that you were comparing, please Zippy  :)

Zippy

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 09:21 »
would you tell us the 2 brands that you were comparing, please Zippy 

Of course:

B&Q Peat Free  vs  Homebase Peat based.

Both were riddled prior to sowing and positioned and watered as required in the same way. Seed was from the same packets for both.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 09:27 »
maybe by riddling it you get rid of the bit's of wood which seem to cause the  problems?
I wonder if that's the answer to improving peat-free...for the suppliers to stop putting half rotted wood into it?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 13:04 »
I tend to buy JAB compost because it's always on special offer to garden club members at my local Wyevale and works out pretty cheap. However, I've always been puzzled by the description of 'reduced peat compost'. I do find it's prone to a few woody bits but they're easy enough to pick out, and I use it for seeds and everything else with no problems at all.

xx
Peat free compost

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 12:26
by blue_cortina
xx
Peat-free compost...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 05:52
by Growster...
xx
Peat free compost

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2017, 05:55
by BumbleJo
xx
Peat Free Compost

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 19:21
by Annie

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 34 queries.