peat free or added peat compost

• 39 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
peat free or added peat compost
« on: May 16, 2011, 19:03 »
hello this is my first post, i have an allotment for the first time since last september. things seem to be going ok as regards digging and growing, but i was just wondering if peat free compost was any good for seedlings, im thinking of tomatoes.  i bought some from wickes, but im not sure they will do any good in it, perhaps i should just use it as a mulch for my plot, and get some with peat it it.? :) im trying to do it organically, and have made lots of my own compost, but its just about to run out ( ive got about a 15 kg sack left). should i mix it it ? ive never grown tomatoes before and would like them to do well. any advice would be much appreciated..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: peat free or added peat compost
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 19:09 »
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
The Wickes multi purpose does have peat in it and it's lovely compost :)..unless it actually says peat free on the label - it will have peat in there, and I've not seen any at Wickes that are marked that way this year  :unsure:

I grow everything succesfully in Wickes stuff :)

tassie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 19:35 »
I am also curious about peat content of compost. What difference does it make?

Old Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 21:06 »
I bought some "peat free" from b+q and it is about 30% wood chippings. Rather dissapointing. Mind you, after riddling it I`ve got a nice wood chipping floor on the greenhouse now.
Went to Wicks and got 4 bags of their peat based and it`s lovely stuff. Into the second bag already and everything looks happy in it.
I can remember when it were all fields round `ere.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 18:20 »
thank you all. just gone back to wickes, and got some nutrient rich multi purpose with 70 per cent peat :( from renewable sources.  four bags for 13 pounds. 70 litre bags, i am going to use my peat free stuff as a mulch.  i hope my toms will be happier now.   :)

someoneorother

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 20:02 »
'Renewable sources' for peat? Uh-huh.

Harvested in a non- or less damaging way (in terms of methods and location) I could believe, but 'renewable'?

Edit: not intended as an attack or to debate the morals of using peat-based compost, just in case that wasn't clear. More intended as a sigh of irritation at dubious advertising claims.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 20:04 by someoneorother »

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 22:35 »
It really annoys me the way peat free is pushed as a virtue and at the same time the price is always a lot higher than compost with peat.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 22:42 »
A higher price....................for a load of rubbish most of the time!
Surprisingly enough I prefer not to use compost that grows mushrooms of some sort, and has white rot on the woody pieces in it >:(

If 'they who must be obeyed' have decided we mustn't use peat any more......then they have to come up with a decent, reliable product before I will change to it!

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 22:52 »
Renewable sources' for peat? Uh-huh.

It's renewable if you're prepared to wait ten thousand years. That's the bit they don't tell you.

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 22:54 »
I always  use a multipurpose compost that has peat in it as it holds a lot more water and nutrients. Clover compost is made Northern Ireland using their own peat bogs that are not  for scientific or scenic interest use.  This is the best compost that I have ever used

Note I don’t work or know anyone at clover Compost

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 23:19 »
Not 'renewable' but it is possible to buy peat-based compost where the peat is harvested from commercial water filters (from hydroelectric plants I think) if that makes you feel better.

I must admit that I'm highly suspicious about the drive to go peat-free when its still burnt in enormous quantities in Ireland and Finland to fuel power stations and heat homes. And then of course there's whiskey production...

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 23:31 »
It really annoys me the way peat free is pushed as a virtue and at the same time the price is always a lot higher than compost with peat.

Actually peat is a renewable resource albeit on a slow scale, over time the peat moss will regrow and new peat beds will form but that takes a L O N G time.....
Death OR Cake ???

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 23:39 »
On the "peat free" front I have not yet found one that is any good for seed sowing potting on etc, in actual fact most are rubbish and made from recyled god-knows-what. I have tried at least 5 different makes in the last few years.   I actually use Westland composts now - their multi-purpose is really excellent and has minimal peat content.  Cost about £12 for 3 x 75lt bags from most places. I also use there John Innes seedling thru to 1,2 & 3 which I have found excellent.  I will point out that some John Innes composts from other manufacturers can leave a lot to be desired as I have found out to my cost....

Zippy

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 23:48 »
I use B&Q Peat Free compost for all sowings and potting on and it is great stuff. Finer seeds do need the compost to be riddled, but I don't agree that a typical bag has 30% wood chips in it.

Yes I could use peat based compost but I won't because fo the damage this does to our natural habitats, especially when there is a suitable alternative.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 08:08 »
especially when there is a suitable alternative.

that's where you and I will have to disagree Zippy  ;)

xx
Peat-free compost...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 05:52
by Growster...
xx
Peat free compost

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2017, 05:55
by BumbleJo
xx
Peat Free Compost

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 19:21
by Annie
xx
Peat free compost

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 12:26
by blue_cortina

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 38 queries.