Peat-free compost...

• 26 Replies

Growster...

Peat-free compost...
« on: June 30, 2023, 18:22 »
I'm getting rotten germination from bagged compost which is made up of everything under the sun except peat...

Luckily, our local GC is still stocking proper Jack's Magic, but I tried using some new stuff for simple seed sowing for veg like salad leaves, lamb's lettuce and beetroot, and they are a miserable failure this year! These are sown in trays a few weeks apart for continuation, and the system used to work pretty well when we had some decent compost, but I tried a couple of bags of the new 'green' stuff, and (to mix a metaphor), it just doesn't 'cut the mustard'!

Anyone else getting the picture?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Peat-free compost...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 18:58 »
I watched a programme over the last few weeks (can't remember which one, to provide a link, sorry) but Carol Klein said that peat-free composts aren't as good unless they're the professional/expensive ones, such as FertileFibre but that's £24 if you only need 1 bag  :ohmy:
https://www.fertilefibre.com/collections/compost/products/fertile-fibre-seed-compost?variant=41401985138847
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 19:00 by mumofstig »

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 20:56 »
I’m using Sylvagrow & have found it to be good.
We’re selling it for £8 a 50ltr bag at the gardening club store
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 20:57 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 21:25 »
I had good results with Sylvagrow last year.
This year our allotment society bought Happy peat free compost at a competitive price of £5.25 for 50 litres. It has been excellent, with all bags sold.  Sadly we now hear that they have ceased production.  However the business has been bought so hopefully a replacement will be suitable.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 21:27 »
We had a pallet load of Happy peat free as well as the usual stock of Sylvagrow - I do prefer the Sylvagrow, but for the reduced price and if use for potting on rather than seeds, the Happy was surprisingly OK.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 05:45 »
Interesting about Sylvagrow - I'm in our GC on Monday and will ask her, because I've not seen it there! They're quite worried about the situation with peat-free, and a lot of gardeners are getting confused!

There was another 'new' John Innes on order, but I need to look at what's in it, as I've never gone down (up?) their numbers from one to three, before...

One thing's for certain - that I'm making sure we have our own compost heaps in better condition than before!

cc

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 18:39 »
Odd how people struggle with peat free but if sown direct they have no problems?. For salad leaves I expect just as good sown direct. Of course I am not counting the actual germination numbers but happy with the results.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 21:14 »
We had a pallet load of Happy peat free as well as the usual stock of Sylvagrow - I do prefer the Sylvagrow, but for the reduced price and if use for potting on rather than seeds, the Happy was surprisingly OK.
The Happy Compost had more twig content than Sylvagrow but I used it both for potting on, final pots for tomatoes etc and also for seed sowing and had no issues with it at all. 

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2023, 07:36 »
I find peat-free just doesn't hold moisture as well as peated and suspect the more expensive ones have a good dose of vermiculite or similar to help.  The woodier stuff also might have a nitrogen shortage if it's not rotted enough.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2023, 11:16 »
Bear in mind its Sunday morning & I'm sitting in the sun, musing over my coffee and Jammy Dodger ....

Bagged composts (and garden centres for that matter) are a very new thing compared to the hundreds (thousands?) of years that people have been raising their own food on a little plot. I'm sure they didn't all have tiny, shrunken, pathetic little plants, hanging on over the centuries longing for the invention of Miraclegrow!

Rather than shout about how "they" haven't got their act together to sell us a peat-free bag, could we better organise our composting and rummage out Grandad's potting mix recipes? 

Just a thought!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2023, 11:36 »
could we better organise our composting and rummage out Grandad's potting mix recipes? 

Just a thought!
My dad never grew anything in pots/compost, as we do nowadays. Everything was either sown direct where it was to grow, or in a small seed bed, where the soil was sieved every few years (to remove the stones that had risen to the surface) and then transplanted. The only exception was runner beans, those, he bought as v. small plants, by the dozen, from a market stall and brought them home wrapped in newspaper, to plant in the garden.
Then again, he never grew anything that needed starting in a greenhouse, so no tomatoes, no sweetcorn, cucumbers etc...

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2023, 11:44 »
could we better organise our composting and rummage out Grandad's potting mix recipes? 

Just a thought!
My dad never grew anything in pots/compost, as we do nowadays. Everything was either sown direct where it was to grow, or in a small seed bed, where the soil was sieved every few years (to remove the stones that had risen to the surface) and then transplanted. The only exception was runner beans, those, he bought as v. small plants, by the dozen, from a market stall and brought them home wrapped in newspaper, to plant in the garden.
Then again, he never grew anything that needed starting in a greenhouse, so no tomatoes, no sweetcorn, cucumbers etc...
My Grandad used a seed bed for brassicas but tomatoes and also leeks and onions he had his own recipe.

Oh yes! I remember buying wallflowers in newspaper from the market!

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2023, 17:45 »
I guess my main growing area has more peat in it than soil these days, as every year, I chuck all the compost from the empty pots on there and till it with the Mantis!

So when peat is banned next year, I'll still have the remnants for a few years, and anyway, I'm stocking up on Jack's Magic, so don't think I'll be worrying too much! One other small growing area at The Turrets is in fact the old compost heap from several years ago, and it still looks like a peat bed, and certainly holds water incredibly well, despite being a raised bed!

I might try some of the more expensive bagged stuff though, and mix it with a little of the JM which should solve the problem for a few years, after that, who knows, there may be a new kid on the block by then!

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 11:58 »
Just got back from the GC.

They don't stock Sylvagrow, or any equivalent, but it seems that when manufacturers have to provide peat-free stuff from next year, there may well be a period while they knock out the various coir etc., mixtures, but make customers consider an additive for water retention, maybe even extra nutrients too!

Makes sense I suppose, but it'll all cost more of course, and I still shudder at seeing those little gel pellets sometimes spilling out of pots and hanging baskets in a gloopy mess...

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2023, 12:08 »
I attended Glee (trade show) at the NEC last week . Had some very interesting conversations with various compost suppliers/manufacturers. Have left my contact details so hoping they do as they said & make contact with me. There was a new one on me Brontë that sounded promising, I got given a small sample, but haven’t used it yet, I’m waiting to see what I can sow in it. I’ll update here when I do.
The ban to retail to home gardeners comes into force at the end of 2024 I’m reliably informed .

xx
peat free or added peat compost

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:04
by shokkyy
xx
Peat free compost

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2017, 05:55
by BumbleJo
xx
Peat Free Compost

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 19:21
by Annie
xx
Peat free compost

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 12:26
by blue_cortina

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 53 queries.