My onion seedlings have flopped!

• 12 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
My onion seedlings have flopped!
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:18 »
I was so excited about my onion seedlings, but now they flopped, which I presume isn't right?

I used new trays, new seed compost, didn't over water.  What went wrong?  I didn't clean the propagator properly, could that be it? They are in a cool (14degreesC) kitchen with plenty of light.

Many thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: My onion seedlings have flopped!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56 »
They just do, ok   ::) If you leave them the next set of leaves will grow straight up.

I actually took the scissors to mine and gave them a haircut, about 2ins long, and they have grown straight now and look healthier for it  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:08 »
Just make sure they have a bit of ventilation during the day to remove any condensation that might be on the lid.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 16:15 »
Wow fab, the relief, my onion seedling babies are ok!

Totty

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 18:17 »
I can also recommend trimming them down a bit. The new growth will be really upright.

Totty

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 18:19 »
I reckoned they got weighed down by the seed coat still on the end of the first leaf, so spent ages last year taking these off ....no, they just flop a bit to start with  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 22:39 »
Sorry dont mean to gate crash, but can I ask whilst on onions, I have onion seeds and some bulbs, do the seeds become bulbs? Whats the best method of growing onions, sorry just while on seedlings...

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 22:47 »
They both become the same thing in the end (an onion!). Both methods work. Onion sets are probably a bit easier but seeds are cheaper and there is more variety.

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 23:06 »
I was so excited about my onion seedlings, but now they flopped, which I presume isn't right?

I used new trays, new seed compost, didn't over water.  What went wrong?  I didn't clean the propagator properly, could that be it? They are in a cool (14degreesC) kitchen with plenty of light.

Many thanks.

Temperature change is probably the culprit. Alium types like cool temperatures and not too much variance.

Green man

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 09:56 »
I've had something like that happen to me only mine was with onion sets we put them in the right depth as it said and were as the plot holder next to us. Has onions like cricket balls and bigger ours are no bigger than golf balls. We've put muck down and watered well but still no good what could we be doing wrong.
Thanks.
It's better to be over the Hill than under it!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:04 »
There is not actually that much goodness in 'muck' it is more that the organic matter helps create a healthy soil structure.

If you feed your onions they will grow larger bulbs ---  blood fish & bone does a good job, put down a couple of weeks before you plant out, with some chicken manure pellets worked in when you plant the onion sets.

About the beginning of June, I give mine some sulphate of potash, as from the shortest day onwards, onion plants start to build their bulbs (before that they are growing leaves) and this helps them take up the potash required in good time.

Hope that helps a bit  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 10:48 »
Flopping is OK, the seed leaf invariably can't hold itself upright.

Collapsing/wilting is not OK - if you look very carefully you may see the leaf is starting to discolour and rot off at soil level, which is almost certainly due to over-watering coupled with poor ventilation.

I lost 2/3rds of my leek seedlings one year - despite being in the cold frame and sparing with watering I'd put them right under the gap between the closed lights, and it was a rather wet spring............ :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35 »
Some much knowledge and experience on this forum.  I think my seedlings have flopped not wilted. Will keep the watering to minimum.

xx
Onion seedlings

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 11:36
by sowitgrowit
xx
Onion seedlings

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 13:25
by Pompey Spud
xx
onion seedlings

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 13:13
by shokkyy
xx
onion seedlings?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 09:44
by JayG

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 30 queries.