onion seedlings

• 6 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
onion seedlings
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:10 »
So I have read all the previous posts I can find on growing onions from seed, I don't think mine are ready for planting out just yet, but i still have one question: how deep do you plant them? At the moment a lot of the seedlings are falling over and their roots are showing above the compost. Obviously they won't be planted as deeply as leeks, but presumably they need to be a bit deeper than they are now?
Rachael

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: onion seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:41 »
I just stuff mine in about 1" down.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 14:30 »
I do mine about the same depth. Seems no matter how deep I plant them, they'll still pop out which seems to be their preferred habit.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44 »
I've tried doing onions from seed this year. No success whatsoever. Set them in individual modules, some in the house, some in the greenhouse. They get to about 1" high and then keel over. I don't waterlog them, or keep them too dry. Bad packet of seed?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58 »
Last year I lost three quarters of my onion seedlings at about that stage Tayty - looked like damping off, probably due to too much water and too cold (they weren't covered so it shouldn't have been too much humidity.)

This year (same seed, Sweet Spanish White) I have only lost a few, although it's quite difficult to get them to grow strongly whilst still in a tray in the greenhouse. All I've done differently is make sure the compost is damp rather than soggy.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:04 »
put mine in trays, nice open space. its all trail and error for me at the mo. i would say best to start in sept/oct indoors and let them grow slowly and planted around now outside in spring. i dug a groove 2 inch deep, layed them in with roots beneath and cover up with soil and let them grow. as long as they have a good root system they should grow without much attention.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 13:13 »
I did read somewhere that onion seeds don't like to be sown in wet soil/compost, so maybe that was the problem.

xx
Onion seedlings, what next

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 17:31
by Ropster
xx
Onion seedlings

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 11:36
by sowitgrowit
xx
Onion seedlings

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 13:25
by Pompey Spud
xx
onion seedlings?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 09:44
by JayG

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 29 queries.