Onion seedlings

• 6 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Onion seedlings
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:19 »
Never grown onions from seed before, so not really sure whether I'm doing it correctly.
I have sown the seeds into small modules (ie 40 per tray) which are only about 1" wide by 1 1/2 " deep. Are these big enough, or should I prick them out into bigger modules/pots. At the moment the seedlings are 2 - 3" tall and lolling about. Is that normal?
They are currently in a conservatory, which is mostly quite cold, but does get quite warm on sunny days at this time of year. The alternative is the unheated greenhouse, which gets even hotter during the day. I  have checked out John's piece on growing onion from seed and he says they shouldn't get above 10-15 degrees, otherwise they will bolt later on. Will they occasional warm spell matter if they are cool most of the time. When can they be moved outside?
Rachael

Kleftiwallah

Re: Onion seedlings
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:48 »

I should leave them where they are and concentrate on getting the watering right,  not too much, not too little.  The seedlings will emerge like a hairpin (bent double), only after they start to straighten out should you think about transplanting them into larger single pots.   :)   Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 14:36 »
tony at 2/3 inches i should imagine they are straight and have gone past the crook-neck stage 'At the moment the seedlings are 2 - 3" tall and lolling about'.  so i think its safe to say - you can transplant them into pots.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 17:27 »
Please bear with Tony, I suspect his reading is not up to par at the moment. If you note from another thread in a different part of the forums:

Tomorrow afternoon, first time in a fortnight.   Went under the knife ten days ago to try and tighten up my upper eyelids to attempt a cure for my constantly watering eyes.   Doc thought I was brave going for both uppers at the same time.    ::)

Bandages on for 48 hours then blind for another few days.  ('Er indoors walked me into the toilet door frame)!    Off to have the stitches out on Wednesday.  Up to now I can't say I've noticed any reduction in the flow rate !   :wacko:  Cheers,     Tony.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Gandan57

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 21:25 »
Your modules are ample for onions. I may start off my Santero seeds tomorrow in modules the same size.

Can you not put your seedlings outside during the day and bring them back inside at night?
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:31 »
Oh good, I will leave them be then. Actually I bought one of those plastic/aluminium cold frames from Aldi last week, might put that together today, they will probably be ok in that won't they?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36 »
I've got my onion seedlings in paper pots (thanks, forumers!) about 4" tall and 2" across - they are out in a tray during the day and in the shed at night.  I think they were too damp to start with (getting the watering just right with these paper pots was a little trickier than I though; or I'm just clumsy) but outside in the daytime they are returning to just "moist" from "wet."

Those that have broken through (about two thirds) are up to an inch tall and mostly in the crook stage, but seem healthy enough.

Some extras I removed (I've got them singly in pots, I assume this is right?) had a tiny bump at the bottom of the leaves - the beginnings of my first home-grown onions  :D :D
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

xx
onion seedlings

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 13:13
by shokkyy
xx
Onion seedlings

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 13:25
by Pompey Spud
xx
onion seedlings?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 09:44
by JayG
xx
Onion seedlings

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2018, 10:45
by arh

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 36 queries.