What to do with a determined hen?

• 2 Replies

betty

• Experienced Member
What to do with a determined hen?
« on: March 04, 2009, 00:48 »
Hello all,  My hens all like to lay eggs in the same spot.  wich isn't bad but one of the hens decided she was broody, and all the other hens kept laying eggs for her, finally I put some wire around her to keep them away from her, it has worked nicely.  The other hens are laying in their new egg boxes except for one.  She has been trying like the dickens to get in to lay her egg with the one settin.  I went out after dark to see them and she is still prancing around trying to lay her egg.  She did manage to sneak in yesterday, but I really blocked her out last night.  My question is  will she become egg bound from holding it?  I put some fake eggs in the new nest boxes, but she refuses to lay an egg in them.  Any suggestions.  thank you
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:04 by noshed »

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with a determined hen?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:36 »
Hello Betty,
How about moving the broody hen out of the usual nest box, so that your other girl is able to lay her egg?
Good luck,
cathangirl

betty

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with a determined hen?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 15:56 »
I wasn't sure if I should bother her.  She has only been on the nest for about 9 days, and  I thought if I moved her she wouldn't  stay.  I think she is locked on now, and she seems comfortable where she's at.  It would just make things nice now that the other hens lay in the new boxes, I really didn't want to disturb them either now.  As long as it won't hurt the stuburn one,  I want to leave things as they are.  But my question is will it cause her to be egg bound, or will she just HAVE to lay the egg? and sooner or later get used to the idea of laying else where.

xx
An eggy mystery - and I'm determined ...

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 23:04
by poultrygeist
xx
determined broody - possibly disappointed?

Started by shetan on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 10:23
by shetan

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 29 queries.