determined broody - possibly disappointed?

• 5 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
determined broody - possibly disappointed?
« on: June 02, 2012, 16:43 »
you may remember that i put 9 eggs under my sister's brahma, day 28 and they have failed to hatch. going by the two that she accidentally cracked we could see that the chicks were fully formed but had failed to absorb the remaining yolk.

we tried and failed to remove the eggs and she is still determined to hatch the remaining 4. i have looked into getting some chicks for her but the youngest i can find/afford are a week old. could i possibly put these under her or are they too old already?

could someone more knowledgeable please let me know asap as we are heading her way tomorrow and i will need to collect chicks from the opposite direction.

many many thanks

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: determined broody - possibly disappointed?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 19:39 »
I'm not experienced in this shetan but I would think that she would prefer week old chicks to none at all. 

If it is her first hatch she may not know the difference.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your broody.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 20:10 »
thats what  i was thinking/hoping. they are also brahma so the size ratio shouldn't be an issue. am gutted about the eggs though. all the chicks were black little balls of fluff - fully formed right down to tiny little eyelids...would have been interesting to see what they turned out like.

if anyone disagrees please let me know as i have to tell the farmer whether i want them of not before its too late tonight or i'm going to take the plunge and keep fingers crossed.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:35 »
Good luck but just in case she doesn't take to them have you got access to a heat source ( preferably infra red lamp) and temporary broody box as they are too young to survive without additional heat?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:46 »
I have successfully swapped eggs for chicks under a broody when another broody abandoned her brood several times (the chicks ranged from day old to about 5 days old).
All I did was slide a chick under her with one hand whilst at the same time remove an egg with the other hand. I repeated this sometimes adding 2 chicks ( there was more chicks than eggs) until all were added. I then shut her up in the dark for a few hours. When I let her out she acted like they were her own chicks even to the point of chasing the proper mum away  :).
But yes do have a heat lamp at the ready just in case but most broodies instinct is so strong that they do accept them.
Good luck with it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:23 »
thank you sooooo much guys...was worried she might turn on them. have a brooder lamp and box already so that shouldn't be a problem...she is still really determined with these four eggs so i'm trying to get 5 chicks for her.

will keep you posted. am heading out today and will be back tomorrow so will fill you in then.

fingers crossed xxx

xx
Favus..possibly,advise please

Started by joolz68 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 21:22
by joolz68
xx
Hen not right - possibly blocked crop?

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 14:01
by Icklemonkey
xx
Uh oh! possibly eggbound - is it my fault?

Started by spanishchicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:47
by poultrygeist
xx
.Disappointed

Started by amj on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 12:47
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 29 queries.